Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 410 with the early style 428 balancer. Do I need a special kind of puiller to remove the balancer ::? Ive been disassembling the motor and thought I had heard something about this so now its kind of holding me up. Any help is greatly appreciated ::

Mike

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I recently removed my 302 balancer. Not sure if yours is the same general design. On mine the balancer is slid onto the crankshaft with a square keystock, and held in place with a big bolt in the end of the crankshaft.

I loosened that bolt with an air ratchet because the breaker bar setup kept rotating the crank and I didn't know how to block the crank. I then screwed the bolt part way back in and used a gear puller to push on the bolt and pull from the edges of the balancer. I was concerned about the rubber dampener giving way, but it held firm. When I re-installed the balancer, I used some anti-seize on the crank shaft to allow for easier removal next time.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm not sure about the early style FE balancer, but I when I pulled the last few balancers, I used a balancer puller. It is quite similar to a sterring wheel puller, and bolts to the front of the balancer, through the pulley mount bolt holes. It has a small conical insert on the end of it to help minimize damage to the threads in the end of the crank. It works rather well, in my opinion.

·
Registered
412 Posts
You need a balancer puller...I got one from Eastwood for about $20.00. You can also borrow one from AutZone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts