Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks

I go through lots of ball joints as I do lots of work on these cars in the UK, To be clear, my mechanics do lots of work, I arrange the parts supply.

So recently I purchased a fairly large number of upper ball joints and imported them

They are "O.E. Brand, DM35.48036, Replaces Moog K8036" The supplier listed them as Moog or similar brand

Listed as for 65 through 70 Mustang (or similar. I don't have the spec in front of me)

So I found these do not fit at all in a 65 nor a 67 mustang, The part that fits into the cup of the upper A arm is much too large.

I contacted my Mustang parts supplier who does not sell ball joints and they said "we stopped getting them in as they didn't fit the upper A arms"

So is this a new issue? Has anyone else found this issue? If you have found this issue, do you have any idea what they do fit as I now have £200 worth of ball joints that are useless to me as they don't fit the cars I deal with.

Many thanks, Peter

If you can imagine the part that seats in the cup of the a arm is like silver top had rather than the slight bulge they used to have.

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Huh.

Haven't heard that one. There are at least 3 different designs of the 8036 part. Generally the variation is where the grease fitting is located (head, plate, etc)

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Premium Member
10,379 Posts
CJ shows the same upper ball joints fit '65-'73 with the only difference being whether it attaches to the UCA with 3 bolts or 4.

Ball joints and tie rod ends have a tapered stud that is drawn into a tapered hole as the nut is tightened, Are you saying that the tapered stud on your ball joints is too large to fit into the tapered hole in the spindle? That sounds like some supplier sent you the wrong ball joints. Maybe the box is labeled incorrectly or the part in the box is not correct.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yes, I also had this issue, I had ordered the lower priced “brand x” ball joints at the local Oreillys. They would not fit into the factory upper control arm. My friend at Oreillys did some research and found the “brand x” ball joints would only fit the “brand x” aftermarket upper control arms...I had to order the more expensive Moog ball joints and they fit the factory upper control arm perfectly.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry folks, I really struggle to find my previously posted threads so I can answer them, Randyfastback65 is spot on. The area of the ball joint that fits into the upper A arm mount area is way too big. Thanks for your comments.

Attachments

·
Registered
863 Posts
6F139D07-1656-4349-9C22-D5A7FB6544C8.jpeg
CE1A49CA-30F7-499A-94A5-BCFA84A2FC30.jpeg

I found some pics from last year when this situation arose.
here is the old and new ball joints and another pic of the new ball joint and a factory upper control arm.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
ACDelco sells some suspension parts that are unique because they are designed around ACDelco press-in ball joints. Other brands might market them too. In many cases, the replacement ball joints for these parts cost more than the original part itself. These ball joints are quite large. You might see the letters BAW somewhere on these parts. I've received "alternate" Moog parts when I wanted ACDelco and they worked but were not exactly the same. It would be helpful if you note the numbers and words on stamped or printed on your parts. Google is your friend.

·
Registered
863 Posts

E80B088A-7991-4C30-93F7-7F5CC7177E2A.jpeg
I searched my notes and found this screen clip from Oreillys...both parts carry the same part number but different line designation...the Master Pro joint is physically larger and will not fit a factory upper control arm

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sorry folks, I really struggle to find my previously posted threads so I can answer them, Randyfastback65 is spot on. The area of the ball joint that fits into the upper A arm mount area is way too big. Thanks for your comments.
If you don't follow the thread, you can go to your profile page and click on either replies or discussion created to find where you have been.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts