Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
That would be cool!! They only made about 6k GT's correct? I'll probably bug him in a few months, I'll look at it and have the money in hand to make a offer on the spot if I like it otherwise we'll go round and round forever!
Somewhere around there, I think this is correct breakdown I found on net: 1,483 coupes, 4,084 Sportsroofs, and 1,127 converts for total of 6,694. Only reason I think may be a gt is deluxe interior and big engine. I think that with this combo buying the GT or Mach was best deal for not much more and person wanted a nicer car. I cannot see if it has dual exhaust which would confirm a GT with H code car (only a single exhaust in mach1). Another giveaway would be a GT gas cap but this can be "faked" because this is removable. If he can get you the Vin you can get a marti for 20 ($30rush you will get it that day or next at latest). One note is that the GT is one case where rare does not mean it is worth more. A comparable mach1 would be worth more right now. Who knows what will be the case later on. If you interested the car, you need to pursue it, it may not be there later on. In your case, I would tell the owner you are interested in the car and need more info.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yep i will, i think it has great potential with it being a 351/ 4-speed to start. I'm actually not turned off with it not being a mach, i kind of like the understated black interior/dash and somewhat plain/tasteful not over the top exterior. My plans would be to do most of the boss 302 mods to it, good shocks and springs, update brakes, frame connectors, build the 351 to around 350 to 370HP and do a little amateur road course track time with it. Thats the plan anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Plans are to FINALLY look at this car in 3 weeks, I could just ask for pics of the door tag etc.. but this guy is not actively selling it so i get the feeling i need to make the effort, and since we are of like minds about how to build this car and he hasn't the time to do it with work and other car projects that are more interesting to him he will sell it to me if we come to a agreeable price. I like it for two big reasons right now, the 351w and the 4-speed. So if its not to rusty it may be mine. Ive looked on the web and found a few good sites about documenting 69/70 mustangs/fords, any other sites you guys could recommend that have good explanations with pics on documenting engine, body, heads, etc.. numbers? I plan on taking a lot of pics to share.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
The door tag doesn't mean much unless it matches the VIN on the dash. Many 45+ year old cars have had the driver door replaced with a used door.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
finally looked at the car, it was more apart than the owner remembers, hood, front fenders, trunk lid, grill, dash pad, and tail lights/ bumpers off along with some trim. VIN reads 9RO2H****** and door tag matches VIN with body = 63C. color = I5. Trim = 3A. Date =11K. DSO = 61 Axel = 6 Trans = 5.
Vin and door match the underhood stamp on the inner fender. I'll post more pics tomorrow, car is from Texas :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
664 Posts
What's up with those MOPAR guys getting into Mustangs?
Just kidding Demon340, That's a nice looking Dodge you have. I've been into 3rd gen Chargers for the last 15 years, now I'm playing with Mustangs. The 69 Sports Roof is a beautiful car. With a 4sp it's a keeper.

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
finally looked at the car, it was more apart than the owner remembers, hood, front fenders, trunk lid, grill, dash pad, and tail lights/ bumpers off along with some trim. VIN reads 9RO2H****** and door tag matches VIN with body = 63C. color = I5. Trim = 3A. Date =11K. DSO = 61 Axel = 6 Trans = 5.
Vin and door match the underhood stamp on the inner fender. I'll post more pics tomorrow, car is from Texas :grin2:
OK, so it's is indeed a Mach 1 (63C), built in San Jose (R in VIN #). I5 is Lime Gold with black hood (Mach), 3A is black Mach 1 interior, 11K is October 11, 1968, DSO 61 is Dallas, 6 axle is 3.00:1 open, trans 5 is 4-speed (2.78).

Pretty straight forward. Best of luck if you strike a deal and tow it home.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Don't allow that fact to influence your decision. A "Texas" car from anywhere along the Gulf Coast can be a genuine rustbucket.
Yes seems like the floors rust no mater where they are from! the car was in a 2.5 car garage with 3 cars in it! A disassembled roached out 70 challenger vert, a 70 caddy vert in the middle, and the mach. It was very tight in there not a lot of room to move !! Anyway the biggest issues are someone in the past cut a square hole in the hood under the scoop, front fenders have the mustang emblem, and it looks like where the hood hinges bolt up to the inner fender there are "holes", it has a power antenna in the pass rear quarter. will get more of the pics tonight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
here are some of the "problem" spots, pics are not the best but it was tight in there. hole at hood hinge they are on both sides, trunk mount power antenna, the hood and front fenders were stripped hole in hood!

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
last bunch of pics, cowl, trunk floor, trunk drops, frame, shock towers, lower quarters tail panel all look rust free, he has all new chrome trim, door handles, emblems, interior a pillar trim, wood wheel, carpet, and more. Car comes with front spoiler and rear wing. I'm going to offer 5K ??

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
few more, thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,756 Posts
Thanks, I've always got along with Ford guys. It's not a Norms car, it's a fairly hi option demon 340, sport hood, tach, buckets,console, p/s, tuff wheel, it runs very low 12's. It has the old Direct connection mechanical carbs, that ironically were designed for Fords NASCAR program.
OMG this is sacrelidge ! Mans Old Plymouth Aint Runnin ! Move Over Pistons Are Rattlin !

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Nothing in the pics that would run me off. If you're serious about buying this Mach I'd have cash in hand, go over all the things needed plus shipping and start at 5k. You can spend 15-20k pretty quickly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Ya, i can do all the mechanicals, i know how to mig weld but haven't done body work. I'm 99% sure 5K will buy it and he said he will tow it to my home no charge. I'm thinking i should pull the trigger since it looks fairly solid, and a 4 speed.. It wouldn't be a restoration but more of a nice driver with some suspension and engine mods.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Thank god for Marti, looks like someone about 15 years ago added the Mach dash, seats,door panels, etc... Report came back 63A , I and 2G. instead of the tag that reads 63C, I5, 3A. The sport roof NOT Mach 1 was equipped with the sport decor group, E78x14 Wide Oval white sidewall tires, and rocker panel Moldings. I'm guessing the decor group was the scoop, duel racing mirrors, and maybe the black stripe along the bottom?? Man am i glad i spent the $18!! May still buy it but better to find out what it is before i hand money over. The mustang emblems on the fenders are what was bothering me and made me get the report.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I'm not able to make out the data plate. I've only run one Marti report, however I did supply the vin and all of the data plate info. So are you saying Marti was able to provide the"correct' Body, Color, Trim etc from the vin? Does the vin on the data plate match the vin on the dash? What is obvious about it being a fake tag other than the large upper corner radius and different rivots?

If you do like the car, just use the Marti info to make a proper offer.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts