Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a neighbor who is considering selling his 67 convertible. He thinks $8-12K, a wide range which I want to narrow down a bit.

The car is rust free CA car by way of Nevada to the high deserts of Oregon with good cowls and no bubbles in doors, 1/4s or fenders, but needs a little work on a crease in one fender (hasty repair, with rattle can touch up). It's a running 289 (C code, I think, as the door was blocked and the hood was occupied) automatic with power steering and was last driven this spring. He says the brakes need to be worked on. It is Wimbledon White with console and black standard interior and black power top (newer). The top motor works but needs lube. The underside was undercoated years ago, but had no rust through that I could see and the torque boxes looked decent. There was a tiny bit of swelling in the toe board to floor board joint on the driver's side.

I have never been much involved in convertible prices so I thought I'd ask you what the market is for this type of project. I would think that it would take a bit of body work, refreshing the drivetrain, suspension, brakes and interior to make it really nice. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera and the car is in a small garage with typical storage constraints--boxes, a lamp and books covering the car-- so I don't think the pics would turn out well, but I what I did see of the car and underside looked pretty decent.

Any advice on whether to try ebay or to sell locally? I'll pass it on to them. Thanks.

Daniel

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I'd say from your discription that it would be a great deal at the $8,000 and probably a fair deal at the $12,000.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I picked up my 67 back in 2004. 11,500 and the car was restored in 1986.
The paint was perfect. The interior was original and decent.
I rebuilt the engine and the suspension with the addition of disc brakes. Added 17 x 8 TT II's
I also completely refurbed the interior with the new TMI sport buckets and all the interior chrome.
It sold for 20K and is now in Germany.
So for you to snatch it up for 8K....sounds like a deal.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
JMO

That car would be a great deal at $12,000, assuming it is a V8 car with a VIN to match.

A *very good* driver (say an older restoration which still looks and drives great) V8 67 convertible would be worth from the high $20s to close to $30,000.

John Harvey

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought my 'C' code, wimbelton white '67 'vert 3 years ago for $8500. It has power top, deluxe interior, original AM/FM radio. I redid the interior, added 3 point seat belts and headrests. Had a new top installed with split glass window. It now has power disc front brakes, 2005 Mustang wheels ,export brace and monte carlo bar. I wet sanded and polished the 20+ year old paint. As it is a nice driver,it is probably worth about $20000.
I would jump on that 'vert for 8K

1 - 5 of 5 Posts