Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a bar to go between my shock towers and keep them spread apart, i just spent a lovely penny getting them straightened. I've seen them in pictures here, but I don't know what that bar's called.

I can't seem to find it on cjponyparts

Thanks!
-Matt

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Up at the tops of the towers? That would be a Monte Carlo bar. If it goes from shock tower to firewall and then to the other shock tower, that would be the export brace.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
It's only a sad day IF you don't install them. They help a lot. A thicker anti-sway bar up front will help and no additional holes are required.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't recall ever seeing an anti-sway bar on the car. So you're telling me I need both?

I need the curved monte carlo bar, correct? because i don't have a hi-po?

Also, does anyone make a monte carlo bar where I don't have to drill any holes?

Thanks
-Matt

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
I guess you could glue them on... but NOT recommended :lol:

·
Registered
7,761 Posts

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
lemonshindig said:
I don't recall ever seeing an anti-sway bar on the car. So you're telling me I need both?
The anti-sway bar (more commonly but incorrectly called a sway bar) is under the engine, not in the engine compartment. It's attached to the lower control arms via the end links.

Frank

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
lemonshindig said:

I need the curved monte carlo bar, correct? because i don't have a hi-po?

Also, does anyone make a monte carlo bar where I don't have to drill any holes?

Thanks
-Matt
There should be two bars underneath the car right now. The one closest to the front, the thin one, is the anti-sway bar, and the big one farther back is the crossmember. For a street car with good handling, you need both, and you REALLY need a bigger anti-sway bar. My mom's mini-van has a bigger sway bar for **** sake.

As far as I know, you can't get a monte-bar to fit without a chrome air cleaner, and you can use whatever you want. You can also cheat and not drill the front holes, which is what I'll probably do, so it's a bolt in. :)
HTH
--Kyle

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I have the curved bar on my car, but it's just because I wanted easy and direct access to the distributor. The straight one passed right over the disti. and within an inch or so.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the extra holes. Most Mustang owners have installed the same MC bar or want to. Down the road I doubt anyone is going to be upset that you drilled holes to install a MC bar when you go to sell.

I would recommend the separate MC and export brace. I think it is cheaper if you go that route, and it is easier to just have to remove the MC bar if you are doing something like taking out the intake and you want some additional room... JMO though.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Not true 68Fastbackwilliams. I first bought a straight MC bar for my project 65 and it would not fit around the stock air cleaner, so I chunked it and bought a curved one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts