Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm almost ready to weld in my shock tower reinforcements and I need your advice. I stripped almost the entire shock towers down to bare metal and I have a can of weld through primer for the backsides of the new metal and the areas of the towers that will be welded. My question is this; is it necessary to spray the weld through primer on the areas of the shock towers that will be covered by the new metal, or am I better off using an epoxy primer there and the weld through only where the welds will be made? I want to make sure I have proper rust protection behind the new reinforcements. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
If you can, I would just use the weld through primer where it needs to be and a little bit outside of that area, and epoxy or a chassis paint everywhere else. I dont think I would go nuts about it, but the heat can do a number on any paint or primer behind it anyway and thats why I would use a heavy coat of weld through in the general area of the heat.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heavy coat, got it. Also, to any other amateurs thinking of fabricating their own reinforcements for the shock towers, it's a P in the A! I'm not a fabricator and I don't have fancy tools (plasma cutter, torch, etc...), so this project has absorbed a lot of time and lead to SEVERE frustration. If I had to do it again I would buy one of the available kits with the pre-formed pieces, even if they do require some massaging. I've been relying on my angle grinder, propane torch, BFH, and HOPE! But hey, still getting me closer to the goal...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what I'm going to do... I'll tape off 1/2" around the edges of all the reinforcements (the backsides) and spray a thick coat of epoxy on all the bare metal still showing. Then I'll remove the tape and spray a few light coats of weld through primer on the remaining exposed metal. The same will go for the shock towers; I'll tape off where the weld beads will be, spray everything else in epoxy, remove tape, spray weld through where the tape was, and then scrape off a small amount of weld through directly where the bead will be layed.

I want to make sure I do this correctly, so it doesn't have to be re-done in a few years. Does anyone see a problem with this method?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
I would use weld-through paint where you need to do this. It's the copper-looking paint here:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input. And that's exactly what I'm gonna do; use weld through just on the edges and I picked up some VHT chassis paint for elsewhere. I'll try to post some pics this week of my progress and homemade gussets to see what you fellas think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts