Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was'nt really in a barn, but it was in the back of this guys garage under a car cover and a bunch of boxes. Based on what I could see and what the owner told me it is a 67 convertible, 64XXX original miles, 289 2V, 3 speed, power steering, manual brakes, A/C, power top, red with red interior. The owner has had the car since about 1980 and had the body work and paint done before giving up on it in about 1983. So it has sat for the last 22 years collecting dust and boxes. The owner is interested in selling it, so I need to know what do I really have to be concerned about on a car that has been sitting for so long? Motor, interior, rust? Also, what do you think it would be worth? This car would be for SWMBO to use a a summer time driver, so it does not need to be perfect, just a good 30 ft car.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If the body is good but the car has been sitting for a long time and is original, then just about everything mechanical with a seal should be rebuilt or replaced. This includes wheel cylinders, master cylinder, powersteering pump, automatic transmission, shocks etc. The exhaust will probably need to be replaced as well. Check the gas tank. It probably needs to be tossed. With the motor, at the very least, all fluids changed, ignition components replaced and carburetor rebuilt. Check the condition of the top as well. Most of the chrome will need to replaced as well. Don't know what it is worth, but what is it worth to you? Figure out how much it will cost to get it to the condition you want it to be.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Hard to tell value from your discription. But I'd say somewhere between $5K and $8K. I don;t know if I'd agree that so much will be wrong as stated above. Sounds like a worse case scenario. If you can get it cheap, pull it out and take stock of what you've found. The main thing is to look underneath for rust to make sure it is not crumbly and needing structural repair. But with low miles, and having been painted before he put it away, I'd say your chances of having a good car are high. LETS SEE PICS!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,376 Posts
Agree with above, with rust being the key. Check around trunk lid rear lip, and around the convertible rear window and the rear window well area. Usual underside warnings. It still was a 13 year old car when it was put up.

Convertible top will probably be dry rotted, so $1000 for a new top installed with pads.

Throw away the gas tank, sending unit, and consider replacing the entire gas line. No use rebuilding the carb, putting a new gas tank in, and then pulling a bunch of rust through the fuel line.

Pull all fuses, clean or replace.

Replace headlight switch, as it probably has a corroded spot where it has been sitting, which will affect interior lights.

Personally, I would pull the oil pan, clean, regasket, and replace.

I would also seriously consider replacing the radiator, AFTER cleaning the crud out of the engine. Also, put a Gano, or similar filter to catch crud that breaks loose from the engine when it finally gets warmed up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Being a vert, I would be concerned about the torque boxes, inner rocker panels, front framerail extensions, rear frame extensions (where the leaf spring shackles attach), and the floor pans. If the inner rockers are gone the car will go sway back because there is no metal top structure to support it. Check the body seam gap at the top where the door and rear quarter meet. If it is sway back, it will be pinching there. (BTW) you can kiss the conv. top goodby. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Rats, Rabbits & Coyotes. Oh my! :rofl:

Seriously, The rodentia seem to like insulation for some reason. They defecate and urinate on everything and raise quite a stink too. Cats can do a number on the car as well. Just look up my history of the BarnFind Vert. :wall: :puke: :jawdrop:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts