Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend, a UPS guy, is always on the lookout for me for cars out in the country and anywhere. He told me of a 67 Cyclone in a barn. Went to check it out, not a cyclone but here is what i found;

Talked to the guy (who would love to get rid of these) and went out and looked;
CAR #1

it wasnt a cyclone, but a 1967 Mercury Monterey DR hardtop. He said he bought it form n old man in he late 70s and I believe it. Itlooks crusty from dirt, but i opened the door, and i dont belive anyone has ever even sit in the back seat. The car ha sbeen there for 20 plus years, but i belive it could be made to run. It has a 390-2V, C6 auto, power everything available for that year.
He also showed me a box that has a new fuel tank for it (was gonna fix it up at one time

CAR#2
Next to it , a 1967 Galaxy 2DR hardtop. This was his car, but it is not in quite as good of shape. There is rust holes in the lower rear quarters. But he did have the 289 rebuilt aout 15 years ago, s he was planning to fix it up. He ended up parking it with less than 5,000 miles on it.

He said he would like to get rid of them. he shot me a price of $1,000 for the pair, but sia dif that was too high come back and talk to him (meaning i could get for a lot less) I am not looking for any mor eprojects (although the monterey looks cocky), I am mainly looking for something i can make a little $$$ on (baby on the way)

What are your opinions????

Nathan Jones
"always looking for 1970/1971 Torino parts"

·
Registered
9,891 Posts
Sounds like a decent deal to me, especially since they are both 2 door cars. The 390 in the Monterey would make for a nice cruiser.

Just make sure to check the frame, at asle kickup and lower control arm mount. Full size Fords are notorious for rotting there.

Of course, beat him down on the price... :)

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
You could get a lot more on ebay than he is selling for. '67 Galaxies are fairly hot cars, the Monterey sounds like a great deal and should go well too.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I think that are easily worth what he is asking for them, but they will still be hard sells. I don't think the 67 full size fords are hot sellers an of course the Merc is not. Each of them is worth more than $500 in oarts alone, but parting them to make a reasonable profit is a lot of work and not really worth the time invested. If they could be made to run, drive and stop easily (fast and cheap) I'd say there is about $2K profit to be had. If either of them is terminal (bad engine, trans or other expensive fix) then the profit margin drops. If they would clean up real nice and look like noce cars (good paint, interiors, shinny, etc) then the profit could go up a bit.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I'd love to have the mercury to drive. they are hard to sell tho, no real popularity. the galaxie will bring twice as much.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Jeff here,,,had to reply on this one,,,67 galaxies are VERY HOT cars right now,,Full-size fords are coming on strong again,,especially anything with the fastback look.I would LOVE to find an unmolested 68 XL like we bought brand new from Hull-Dobbs Ford back in the day.I agree with a couple of the other fellows posting that the cars are more desireable for parts items than whole,,on some of the cars.Especially a rusty 289 car.Thier frames rusted terribly in front of the rear wheels,,and behind the front fenders where the frame torque boxes are.But IF the frame is super solid,,that would be a very hot item to e-bay for sell and pickup only.XL stuff on those cars bring blood if unpitted and clean.And don't forget,,,Ford did manage to squeeze out a few 67 7-Litre cars,,some hardtops and a select very few convertables,,all of those had beautiful XL interiors standard.Only less than 50 convt 7-Litres were made with 4-speeds,and a friend of mine here in Louisville HAS 2 of those cars currently.Think 67 Galaxie and XL stuff ain't popular????,,,just see what e-bay brings for a nice trunk spear or hood spear.You will be amazed.I have a 1966 Ranch Wagon,,,done up with ALL the 66 7-Litre stuff on it,,and the drivetrain with 4-speed.thing turns more heads than any Mustang,,and more smiles.Has Magnum 500's on it too.Clean unmolested parts for these cars are getting very hard to find,,,as well as all the options they had on them,,,and a lot of the cars had a ton of toys. That 67 Merc is a great parts car,,all the options will bolt directly to a 67 Galaxie or XL.In 67 ford did put 410 engines in a select few Mercs,(engine code"M"),,and they are highly sought after too. I put a 410 into my 69 Mach from a 67 Monterey,,bought it for 150.00 a few years back. I ALWAYS look at the big Mercs for engines and options.I have a 70 Montego,,LosAngeles car,with 38K original,,hideaways,429 factory,ps,pdb,a/c,am-fm.Ford only made 43 1970 Montego MX Broughms with 429's,,and only one of those was painted silver Blue and has Blue interior,,,,,it's the car i now have,,,a truly one-of-one unmolested big-block Merc.I know it;s worth more than the 4500.00 given for it,,,LOL.They are the cousin to the 70 Torino GT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts