Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5 loads of parts it looks like I have barely scratched the surface.

Some great 30's stuff. I am selling the stuff on EHAY under the name bayclassics (see link beow) for now and has been going well. I start this as a full time business in September. Boy has this been fun but my 66 GT restoration has really sufered!

http://mail.chartermi.net/~bgourdie/barn/IM000361.JPG

·
Registered
539 Posts
Man thats cool! How exactly are you gonna make it work as a full time business, though? Won't you run out of parts eventually?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ther are around 400,000 parts enough to keep me going 10 years. Mean while I will be purchasing other stashes as found.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I seriously think you shoud increase your prices. I may be wrong but what your selling are fairly rare parts. When it comes to mainstream parts there is an established market value. What you sell does not have a market value. If i am going out on to look for a specific part that you have for sale how many matches am i going to get. If the answer is zero active and zero complete for the part i'm looking for i'm almost as likely to spend $20 rather than $10. If you maintain a database of your sales and chart trend lines you will be able to see how high you can push the customers before they pass.

I was a bit confused on shipping price. I'm not sure if it is intentional. As a buyer its a turn off for me. Today i bought a mustang computer and it had an opening bid of $125 and a buy it now at $150 with free shipping inside the continental united states. I'm sure it doesn;t cost no $25 to ship it but to guarentee the buy it seemed worth it. Pretty effective trick on the sellers side.

How the heck do you deal with the stuff that isn;t marked!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advise! About 80% is tagged or marked, and thats all I am dealing with for now. I realize my pricing is low at times, I houpe to pass on a good deal and not be too greedy. My upfront cost was very reasonable and I am still playing with the markup. Again thanks for your advise.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
>>I realize my pricing is low at times,
>> I hope to pass on a good deal and not be too greedy

Wash them silly thoughts from your mind. Your about to open a business full time. You need to be able to live off this stuff! Nobody is putting a gun to any bodies head to make them buy the stuff you have for sale There doing it volintarily. You need to price your prioduct as high as the market will bear. The integrity of what you do will be measured on how profesional you conduct your business. The pictures need to acuratly reflect what is for sale, the terms of the sale clearly spelled out, and promt replies to emails and quick delivery. Its the buyers responsibility to determine if he wants the product at the price asked, its your job to deliver the goods.

I assume you have a computer. Do you have any idea what the markup on an ink jet cartridge is? Its worth its weight in gold! something like 50% of hp's profit comes from there consumable business. But when you need a cartdrige you may not like the price, but you willingly pay it to be able to print again. The only time you would get mad in the deal is if you took it home and it was dried out before you installed it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts