Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Barney is the 1966 Mustang I inherited from my Pops (Frank Metz) . Pops was a Chevy guy as far as I knew growing up… He was always restoring or driving old Camaros and his 66 Corvette, until he fell ill the first time in his late 60’s.
During his recovery, my Aunts found the Mustang for him to keep busy with while getting back in better health. The car had been wrecked in the right front corner by a cousin a few years earlier and had been sitting since.
Pops repaired and refinished the little coupe pretty much by himself in his garage over the next two years bringing it up to a driver status. Every summer I’d go to visit and help tinker with it and keep it road worthy.
I often offered to buy the car…..he’d always tell me “He’d think about it”.
Skip forward a few years It’s Fall and I’m getting to see my first granddaughter born and the phone rings…Come get your car boy was the first thing I heard from the other end. Pops had a notion that his time was drawing near and wanted me to have Barney. I left the next day and brought it home.. Pops passed just after the New Year.
I just drove the car for the first summer after his passing. Last year I started doing the items I’m pretty sure he would have done to fix up the old car.
So, with the background in place, I decided to start a build thread…. The first part will be what pictures I have of him working on the car and shots of me driving it around Maryland during my yearly visits. The second part will be the work I did to him here in Ohio during last year or so… Hope you enjoy the build.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The first summer I basically just drove the car "as is" and did a couple of shows. The coolest was the Gale Hallderman Mustang Barn. Gale was the guy who designed the original concept that became the 64 1/2 Mustang..

Thought I'd share some pics. The Museum is just north of Dayton and definitely a must see if you're a Mustang owner.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This weeks adventure is chasing my tail. I have been going thru the cooling system to bring everything up to par for a summer of cruising. As I'm taking things apart, I run into some other issue that falls into "Better fix that now while it's apart" syndrome. This time it's the engine harness.
The first picture is the burned up Alt extension. I guess sometime in the distant past the Alternator was replaced without disconnecting the Battery and the wiring payed the price. Simple fix....well I thought so. When the new harness arrived and it's then see the plug is melted too on the Headlight harness....more money and time. I do wise up and buy the gauge feed while I'm at it to save the headache I know is coming with it.

The third picture is the installed harness on the alternator. I soon realize my new harness is missing the boots for the battery and stator... after a quick call to California Mustang, we concluded the supplier forgot them in the package I was sent ....Alloy Metal sent me the missing boots. Thank you for that Cal Mustang and Alloy!

The final ( I hope) lesson was the parking lamps. I get the harness install and get to the RS headlight bucket when I find the wiring for the parking light is mangled and butt spliced together...literally fell apart in my hand.

From now on...I swear to really inspect every aspect of a repair before I order anything....I'm currently waiting on the lights...

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It will probably never end! I started the water pump and cooling system refurbish this weekend. I bought all the parts for the job and got to cracking on it.... literally the second bolt to come out snapped. I'm going to dig into it further tonight... good news (sorta) is this isn't the first time this has happened in the world and there are many good tips and tricks here on the VMF.
I was a little surprised by the corrosion/ slime behind the water pump... I would have guessed the backing plate should have kept the area dry..

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe it is me being overly sentimental, but wow what a story. I bought my car off a very nice guy down in SoCal, no more significance than the hit to the checkbook. I couldn't imagine having a car with that much significance behind it; let alone driving it (even though I know that is what your Pops - RIP - would have wanted).

Enjoy the build, I'll be following.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I made some serious progress this past Saturday. The majority of the engine is completed. I was given a set of original Cobra Valve Covers that had been bead blasted. I decided to try a newer powder coat process - chrome. I actually figured they would turn out grey and match my water pump, but to my surprise I got the result in the attachment.. Not too bad!

The other picture is what the oil pump shaft looked like compared to the new one. I swear every time I do a project...I find something else I need to do... Good thing that I'm enjoying the work.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have it all together and ready to fine tune.. Ohio is doing this new calendar; it's January 77,2018 and I haven't had a chance to open the doors to set the carb and timing because winter won't go away.... But, it fires up and idles fairly smooth cold. I do have a squeek... I think the powder coated pulleys are the source. I'm going to wait it out and see if it goes away with a little driving.

I just need to put the new seat covers on and new carpet to be done ...at least until this summer/fall is over....

Attachments

·
Dimples
3,521 Posts
Barney is looking good, sir.

You can run an export brace without cutting off the tabs that are connected to the shock towers. That said, I cut mine off. Two spot welds each if I recall correctly. Easy peasy.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Never considered getting one. I'm guessing there is fair some amount of trimming to remove the stock bracing that is welded to the shock towers.
Easy job to remove those, if you dont have spot weld cutters, no issue. Take a 1/8" bit and drill the center of the spot weld BUT only drill into the top section you are trying to remove. Now that you are centered over the spot, move up to a 5/16" bit and finish the job. Take your time and ONLY drill deep enough to get you thru that first layer of metal. Next take a sharp chisel and tap around what's left of the spot welds. They'll fall off pretty easily. Smoothen any burrs, a touch of primer and paint and you're golden.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts