Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Mine simply popped off with a little persuasion from a pry bar. Then I ground them smooth with a grinding wheel and hit it with some VHT satin black. Took all of maybe 10 mins?

Love my TCP braces now

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update ...
I got to spend the summer recouping from Hip Replacement and didn't get to drive or tinker with the car very much at all.

I did however, manage to drop the seats off to a friend to be recovered... Here is where I hit a snag.

See... my loving wife bought me new seat upholstery for Christmas and like most probably tend doing... I never opened the box and inspected it...

The upholstery guy started sending me pictures and I got a little ill!

The Ivy Gold (green to me) is very unevenly dyed and looks almost sun faded is spots.

Has anyone else seen this?

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
She bought them from eBay. After I found out what she paid for them, it was obvious the covers were maybe displays from a traveling vendor or possibly seconds.

I don't think they are TMI brand. The front seat backs are just vinyl w/o the hard backing board.

Hopefully they will look passable in the car. I drive the car for enjoyment and rarely show it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've been collecting parts all winter, and it's time to start putting them on the car. It was a beautiful weekend in Ohio.

Trunk kit, hood seal, window cranks,battery topper,OEM AM Radio, LED Tail lights, and the console refurbished.

I had a guy recover the front seats and he pretty much ruined the covers.. I'm going to order new ones today and do them myself.

I still need to put in the new carpet, kick panels package tray, re paint quarter trim, trunk divider,seat belts, blutooth amp, and etc. etc. etc.. it never seem to end.

I did have one other set back. One of the first things I replaced was the deluxe steering wheel. My wife bought it for me as a Christmas gift... It is a year old and it split like the original did... I'm going to live with it for now, but I've got to find a solution. I won't buy another one from SD.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I removed the seats and carpet last night. I'm going to end up doing some small repairs to the floors to mount the new seat belts. There was also a small hole it the wheel house that was stuffed with bondo. I started forming the patch and it shouldn't take long to finish.

I'm considering putting bed liner on the floor.. I need to see what brands are effective and application methods... I'd prefer to brush/ roll it on.

I added a few pictures of the progress... enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Raptor liner is an awesome product, after spraying it with a schutz gun Id never consider rolling or brushing it, it doesn't overspray like paint, more of a splatter that you need to mask off for. Spraying is so much faster and leaves a more even, professional looking finish in my opinion. For what it's worth urethane bed liner dries pretty hard and isnt much of a sound deadener.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I found some surprises and made myself some work installing the new seat belts. The last picture is of a poor cover patch I found and a result from using an impact to remove stubborn bolts... I tore the floor metal getting the dang thing removed. (2nd pic).
I ended up using some masking tape to make a pattern of my repair area and transferring it to 18 gauge sheet steel to form a patch... The first pic is just setting the welders .. it's been a minute since I've used my own equipment to weld...always tune on scrap!

I have a couple more pieces to make and I should be able to seal up the interior.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
All my welding is done for this go around. I found a few shoddy repairs that I will address later on, but they have been holding up for at least 25 years and won't affect safety... I'm going to let them be for now. Everything is primed, seam sealed and undercoated.
The next big decision is sound deadner... I leaning towards Noisco so far. I don't want to spring the cash loose for Dynamat.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm fully understanding why interior shops charge what they do..:) I finally got the console fitted and mounted. That front bracket was the biggest challenge. The repo I received was 1/4" too tall and not formed correctly to match the trans tunnel or the bottom of the console itself..
A few more seals and and rear window regulators to finish before the first show of the year for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Had to make a punch list today.. My work has an annual car show June 14 and I'm cutting it close.

I'm hoping that listing the tasks I have left and putting an order to them I can make it happen.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
LOL... I have those very same Pepboys Heavy Foam mats that interlock... My garage floor is littered with them....lol.....

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
My pole barn had a golf simulator partitioned at the rear half... 10' x 24' carpeted with those handy little devils under all of it...

I've been putting them to good use.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts