Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Major surgery today. Removed the rear springs. Egad! What an ordeal.
I remember reading posts about this but it didn't hit home until today. Tools used: Wrenches and sockets, large screwdriver and pry bar, bad words, sawzall and carbide blades (6 broke, bent or otherwise unusable) more bad words, and finally a
cutoff grinder.:chainsaw: Yea!!!
Ended up removing the guard and installing a large disc so's to cut deep enough. Yes, safety glasses were included in the mix. Cutting the front end of the spring off first helped a lot. Those front bolts are a killer. First spring took like 3 or 4 hours. The second took 10 minutes. Amazing what a little experience does and sometimes ya just have to get tough with them. The new springs will be installed tomorrow as well as the diff with the 3:55 traclok. The rear brakes go next. Then it is back to the final wiring of the injection harness. (Had to take a head scratchin break).
OBTW, for the most part, the search feature ? I no likee. I re searched using the same key words today and got totally different posts than yesterday. Hmmm. Most of them had nothing to do with my request either. What gives? Is there a new and improved version in the future? ::

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I guess now would not be a good time to say that each bolt slid out on both my '66 and '69 easily ... and these were with the original springs in both cars. ::

I do understand what you mean, though. I never did get them out of my son's '65 when it got totalled and we parted it out. I figured that's the difference between a Dearborn car and a San Jose one.

When using the search feature, be sure to put a "+" in front of any words that MUST be in the post. For example, if you put "front spring bolt" in the search, you would see every post that related to the front of something, that talked about any kind of spring, and any that talked about a bolt. Whereas "+front +spring +bolt" means all 3 words must be in the post, and it really helps to make the search relavent. I have had great luck finding information using the search feature. Also quote phrases that must appear in the post.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried the quote marks but had fair to midl'n luck. I'll try the + marks next time. Thanks John.
P.S. What are we doing up this late? :no:
I've got to get a life.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Prob'ly same as me. Can't shut off the mind, can't sleep. Ken

·
Registered
580 Posts
"I figured that's the difference between a Dearborn car and a San Jose one."

Actually I think it has more to do with where the car lived it's life. My Arizona coupe spring bolts came right out. The bolts on my Kansas City vert took hours.

Lstar

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
replaced my springs in the CJ last Friday, bolts slid right out. I was suprised.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
It took me three nights to get my rear springs out. My car was also rust free from LA! Did you ever have that feeling that they never will come out? I did on the third night. Then I put the torch to the springs!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I hope you have that 3.55 "econo-lok" sealed up in something. make sure you blow it off with an airhose before you install it. and PM me with any questions Jim. :winkgrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts