Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the start of the Barrett-Jackson season in Scottsdale on Tues. and it's always interesting to see the cars and what they bring.

There was a recent post here on values of '65-66 Mustangs seem to be going up, and last nite's show had a couple on there. I saw a K code coupe go late for 50K and K-codes always bring good money, but there was a light blue coupe that brought 25K which I thought was GOOD money for a coupe. Yeah, it had deluxe interior and was nice condition, but high $ I thought...And B-J always gets the best dollars it seems.

I'm sure they'll be having the '67-70's later in the auctions and they too ought to bring good money as well. I'm looking forward to the lime metallic green '70 Boss to see what it brings. Maybe I can get lucky and no one will be watching that car....LOL!

WHat did you think?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
That's pretty good for a Coupe K code even and still good for a regular coupe. I think the prices of the early Mustangs have been doing well lately.

Should be fun to watch!!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised with both as well. Considering that the supercharger setup was not even per original design and with the right components, it faired pretty well at selling time.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
That's pretty good for a Coupe K code even and still good for a regular coupe. I think the prices of the early Mustangs have been doing well lately.

Should be fun to watch!!
Quality of cars increases each night. That Beige K car was touted as original interior and it showed it. Yea that blower was yellow painted over chips BJ has high dollar bidders at Scotsdale.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I hope the supercharged emblem was just a two sided tape deal. I think it would have done a little better if it were more tastefully. I thought it went for 55,000.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I wouldn't have thought it would go for that much either.If it had the correct era paxton on it with the shelby trim I might could see it.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
All my opinion and I know nothing. Barrett Jackson typically brings more than what a car is worth. However, it is impossible to tell the true condition of these cars from the BJ website or the couch. Then there is always the chance that there were 2 bidders who wanted that exact car-year, color, accessories. I thought the K code buyer paid too much for that car. But, I am not an expert on day 2 superchargers that were offered back in the day. That may have been one of them. If so, I would imagine they are very rare. The supercharger emblem on the side had me shouting at the TV. It wasn't even tasteful.

Did anyone notice that car had hubcaps?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Actually the K code Coupe had styled steel wheels with white wall tires. It was definitely a little overpriced (By about $10-15K) but someone was apparently overwhelmed by the $3500 Supercharger that I found tacky and not tastefully installed. The Supercharged emblems were ridiculous, but the car was attractive and I am partial to K codes, even the coupes. Looking for to the 67-70's more though over the next few days.

The original Superchargers were mostly the Blue Paxtons and had the enclosed Cobra Carb box from the factory. There were not many original mustangs fitted with the Paxtons (Most were Shelby's) but they certainly were available over the counter since then to allow for more customization.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wasn't the gold k code hard top also supercharged? I didn't get to see it happen live, it was just going over briefly, but I did see a drag bike sell for cheap, the pro-drag girl seemed pretty upset. But hey, its a car thing.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I watch it with interest every year, most everything goes for top dollar. I have always thought that they manage to get a bunch of people together that have more money than common sense. Over the years I have seen cars that sold for big bucks before the bust, sell for a lot less the second time around, then they paid for them. I do not have this kind of money to spend so I watch it for entertainment only, knowing that no one will pay that kind of money for my cars. In a way it messes up what we like to do because people start to feel ,hey they got X amount on BJ, that is what I want for mine even if it is a rust bucket that requires many dollars to fix..

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I don't recall which auction from last year, but there was a red A-code 4spd, AC/PS 1965 Mustang Convertible that went really cheap, like 16K at B-J and I thought then, the bottom had dropped out of the early Mustang market. So, it's nice to see 25K coupes again.
I thought there were some bargains last nite too, not Mustangs, but other cars.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Over the years I have seen cars that sold for big bucks before the bust, sell for a lot less the second time around, then they paid for them. I do not have this kind of money to spend so I watch it for entertainment only, knowing that no one will pay that kind of money for my cars. In a way it messes up what we like to do because people start to feel ,hey they got X amount on BJ, that is what I want for mine even if it is a rust bucket that requires many dollars to fix..
I remember watching several years ago an Austin Healy sold for $135K one year and the next it was back and sold for $85K and that was before the crash. BJ always seems to bring the big money but its obvious that when the stars and planets align, two eager bidders can really overpay for a car. You watch the Mecum auctions on HDTV and they seem to bring nowhere near BJ prices. BJ I think just does so much superior a job of marketing and hype to bring potential bidders together. I've talked to so many people who've been there live to see it - its become like Mecca for car guys.

I do enjoy watching the auctions on TV even tho I know I'll never be such a high roller. I invited some car friends over for Friday night to watch BJ. We'll have some entertaining conversation over what we think are good and bad buys. We'll poke fun at the mafia guy with his little fu-fu dog, etc. Just good entertainment. We know that nobody can post a car on craigslist or ebay and ever expect the stars to align like the do over Scottsdale.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
The cars we looked at there where pretty nice for the most part. There where a few that didn't seem to be real great cars, but they went early and cheap. The high dollar cars are pretty nice though.

Part of being there is the experience and people with money get caught up in the moment and are usually a little drunk lol Still fun to go to.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I used to be amazed at the prices at BJ and Mecum, until I spent some time looking under some of the cars that my local dealer was buying and selling, better than new! Every spot weld was perfect.

I get a kick out of the guy on Ebay or Craigslist that sees these auctions and thinks that old Mustang out by the barn is worth money when it needs a new everything.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
As a general rule a restomod brings more than a really nice restored "correct" car. Unless you are talking MCA concours. But it is real easy to put $50K plus into a restomod.

·
Registered
153 Posts
B-J is also known for shill bidding...you have to watch them. Mecum and R-M usually run a better auction.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
B-J is also known for shill bidding...you have to watch them. Mecum and R-M usually run a better auction.
Curious as to why you would say that? I thought shill bidding is illegal, and I would think BJ would make a nice target for law enforcement.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Curious as to why you would say that? I thought shill bidding is illegal, and I would think BJ would make a nice target for law enforcement.
It is subtle...watch it. The auctioneer will do it. "Can I get 30,000....30,000 thank you, now 35,000..." He just jumped it up to $35k making it sound like that is where it is at...like someone just bid $34,000. A big dollar collector friend of mine told me about the subtle ways they get more money and start that frenzy..."Wow, $35,000? I better jump in now..." He called it a shill, but it is probably just a fishing technique that an auctioneer will do, but you do not see it as much at the higher/premier auction houses where the auctioneers speak slowly and you can clearly hear each word they say...like they are talking to the crowd.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts