Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Mustang Coupe
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
My battery looks to be knackered so im trying to find a replacement, wondering what other people have on their cars and what is recommended size and brand wise? Its for a 1966 coupe with a 289cu engine.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Interstate battery from Costco in the 66 GT, and an Odyssey battery from Costco in the Pantera.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT Fastback 289 4BBL
65 Posts
I actually used a marine battery. They're made for longer storage between uses and it has worked well for me. I just got it from a battery only retailer, i believe it is a Centennial 800CCA battery.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I agree with awhtx. If Interstate or Optima are available in the UK, I've had great service out of them. A little on the spendy side but they seem to hold up for years beyond their warranty.

·
Dimples
4,355 Posts
I rarely buy the most expensive option of anything, I'm just cheap like that. For some reason, about 20 years ago I bought an Optima and it was a great decision. One battery lasted 10 years, the other almost 9. I'm on my 3rd Optima as of last year and I'm very pleased with the experience. Not only do they last, but it's hard to beat the performance. This car is happy about starting.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've got an Autocraft Titanium in my '69 with a 04/08 date code. It came from Advance Auto. Probably not typical of a discount chain battery but I can't complain about 12 years of service. I keep it on a trickle charger most of the time.

I've also gotten great service from Motorcraft batteries in my daily drivers.

·
Registered
9,610 Posts
Skip the Optima option, the old ones were great, new models are crap. Gone is the ten year warranty, replaced by "2 years - maybe" prorated crap.

Since you're in the UK, can recommend any particular brands.

FWIW, running an Everstart Maxx from Wallymart - 12 years and still going stong...

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
Motorcraft 24F in my '66 and a pair of Wal-Mart 65s in my F-250 Diesel. They're both probably made in the same place. No knowledge of Europe, but there are only 3 or 4 battery makers in North America and everyone else just has their labels on them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with the Costco Interstate battery. I just picked a 24F for my Mustang (wet battery) and it was $89.99 before tax at a local Costco in Southern California. If I were going AGM I would pick up an AGM Duracell at Sam's Club.

You just can't beat the no questions asked 36 month outright replacement warranty. Plenty of Costco stores around here for me to replace it should the need arise. I've had batteries go bad from Autozone and they always seem to have an excuse for battery failure to avoid replacement.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think these days, car batteries are a bit of a crap shot. I keep reading how there are only a handful of manufacturers around and all these different makes are made by one of the existing companies left. I just find a good cheap well-specced battery with a decent length warranty. The one below was £65 and is warrantied for 4 years. If it gives out after that I would not be too disappointed. Personally I would never spend hundreds on a car battery and it still only lasts 4 or 5 years.

I got this battery for my 69 and it fits like a glove. Not sure if this is the same size as a 66 battery. I got mine for £65 and it is now £75. More than capable to spin over my 302. I hate the look of modern car batteries and I removed the stickers, painted it black and put my Autolite battery cover on it. This one was ideal for that as it has a flat top and others have the terminals in recessed corners.

Even though this is on eBay, the seller is Tayna Batteries and they are UK based and they only sell car batteries. So I trust what they sell. You can also buy the batteries from their website, but it was a little cheaper on ebay.

072 High Power Enduroline Calcium Car Battery - More Power than AGM and EFB | eBay

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Motorcraft 24F in my '66 and a pair of Wal-Mart 65s in my F-250 Diesel. They're both probably made in the same place. No knowledge of Europe, but there are only 3 or 4 battery makers in North America and everyone else just has their labels on them.
I was told that the Walmart EverStart Maxx is an Interstate battery.

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
I was told that the Walmart EverStart Maxx is an Interstate battery.
Possibly. Johnson Controls used to make them. Made Autozone's too.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Just found this on an "American Made" site -
"The actual origin of the manufacturing process for Interstate Batteries is vague. The automotive, truck, and marine batteries are made by Johnson Controls which makes 65% of the automotive, truck, and marine batteries sold in the USA. Johnson Controls also makes the batteries for Wal-Mart and AutoZone".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts