Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a spiffy looking battery apron from NPD. Unfortunately, I notice that there are no holes cut out along the top flange where the fender would bolt to the apron. Is this common? I feel like I have a partially finished product. How do I go about making those square holes for the nut/clip thingies? (technical, I know)

Second, I have a MIG welder, but not a spot welder. What is the usual technique for attaching the apron without a spot welder, drill holes in the apron and weld it to the surrounding area?

I'm more of a wrench-turner than a body man, so this is all new to me. As always, I appreciate the help.

"Speed is just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

1969 Mach 1 390 4 spd

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have the same problem with my driver's side apron, the battery side came with the holes... I second the question...

http://my67heven.tripod.com/emsm.gifI was looking for a restoration of fantasy. I do not want my car to be as it was in 1967. I want it to be as I imagined it in 1967. -John Baird
Got Rust? 1967 A-Code Coupe

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
You can scribe out exactly where you want the square holes,, then drill as large a hole in the center of the square as possible then use a jig saw to go into the corners etc to clean it all up use a file or two,,, no problem just takes a while,,,your option is,,if the top side of your existing apron is in good condition leave it and cut out the bad area only,,then set the new panel into place and scribe the shape in to the new panel cut away what you not gonna use,,my advise is to trim it a little large and refit and rescribe again to get it exact,,then butt weld it into place,,you can use a piece of brass as a backer when filling small holes or gaps as the weld will not stick to the brass and hense fill the gap,,this method will preserve the top area with vin numbers as well as the OEM spot welds at the shock towers

Robbie "It doesn't cost anymore to go first class,,
you just can't stay as long"

robbie

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Too late. I have already cut out the old apron.

"Speed is just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

1969 Mach 1 390 4 spd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts