Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '66 vert came from the PO with the battery bungee-corded in. It'd like to clamp it in a bit more securely.

From what I can tell, a '66 clamp attaches to some kind of lip on the bottom edge of the side of the battery. My battery has no such feature. Is this something that a different battery would have, or is there some better way to clamp my battery in?

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
That feature you describe, is different for different "group sizes" of batteries (i.e. different part numbers), and differs between manufacturers. Since just about any battery will fit in our classic stangs, it's quite likely yours is an orphan battery.

If you are set on using the factory style clamp, you will have to aquire a different battery. If you are going to buy one, you will see the feature you describe. Try a group size 24.

The other option is to use a clamp that goes around the top perimeter of the battery, or across the top. The clamp then has "J" or "L" hooks that go down and hook into the battery tray.

They all work. Do whichever strikes your fancy.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Batterys made by Johnson controls have lost the mounting lip on the short side ends of the battery. Exide made batterys still have it. Hence if you buy an Exide or Champion made by Exide in series 24F it will use the clamps on the ends of the battery tray ('65/'66 only). If you have a Johnson Controls battery, i.e. Wal-Mart, DieHard, Motorcraft, etc. then the normal fix is to buy a battery hold down conversion kit consisting of a metal bar with slots for use with the '67 and later aftermarket hardware. The bar with slots bolts to your battery tray. Using a '67 hold down consisting of two hooks, two nuts, and a top strap serves to tie down batteries having no mounting lips. You'll find all the hardware needed for this option in most Mustang parts vendors catalogs. Your other choice is to buy an Exide made battery. Both Johnson Controls and Exide have websites and listings of the batteries each make. You'd be surprized to know that three companies make almost 100% of the batteries sold in the USA (so much for brand names, eh?) The third company is Interstate Battery Corp. I do not know if their 24F has the lips or not.

G

·
0 Posts
Thats interesting as I was just at my WalMart and the 24F's had the bottom lip. I stopped to check based on an earlier thread on the subject.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That may be... I was checking online, and apparently Wal Mart carries Exides in addition to their own brand.

Thanks to geegee and axnjxn, I think I'm going battery shopping tomorrow.

·
1,210 Posts
The poster's here are correct on the specifics of the 24F battery and the
holddown "bar". I just wanted to add that I just recently purchased a new battery with
the extra plastic on the end at NAPA. The battery has the Legend name on it.

Later,

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went by a Batterys Plus today (listed on exide.com as one of their resellers), where the clerk was kind enough to inform me that Exide went out of business in January and they sold their last two 24F's yesterday.

I was able to get a 22 (which the guy claims is what they orginally came with) from Carolina Mustang, which was on my way home. Seems hard to believe that the little plastic lip will really help the battery stay clamped in. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
There's a metal clip that goes over the lip, and is bolted to the battery apron itself that holds the battery down. The forward and passenger side of the battery fit under a lip as well, so it is tied down by three sides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts