Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed some post responses recently that people have the battery cut off switches on their cars. I'd like to put one on mine, but don't know where I'd mount it. Under the hood is logical, but unhandy since you always are opening and shutting the hood. Under the dash is preferable, but some switches hook into the battery terminal wires....waay thick and impractical to get inside the car. The cut off switches we use at work on our diesel engines are rather large switches, which may be the only type you can get.

Just curious, and thanks for the help.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I just put one on my Father-in-law's F-150 this past summer, but it is under the hood near the battery. However, he only starts it about twice a month. If he drove it every day, I would find a way to put a toggle switch hidden under the dash that hooked up to the ignition.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Dan

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

For racing the guys have a switch sticking out of the back so the track officials can shut the car off if needed in an emergencey. The battery is in the trunk already anyway so it would be easy to wire. I'll bet this isn't what you want.

The collector car guys have a switch right on the battery post. It has an insolated screw right on top so they can disconnect it for storage.

If your purpose is anti theft there are lots of places you can cut out power to everything but the starter.

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Glovebox works for me. ::

http://www.tucsonpony.com/wiring5.jpg

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup Laurie, thats the switch. Same ones as we use on the semis! :: Did you have to route the thick battery cable into there too?? ::

Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
The switch is from American Autowire. It's been so long since I've looked in there I'm not sure about the wiring, but the thick cable doesn't go in there. I'll have to check again.

Oh, and for anyone thinking about stealing Trouble, that's not the only disconnect/antitheft switch on the car. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts