Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a 3G conversion on my 67 Coupe with 302 yesterday. This morning the car was completely dead. I had to use a jumpbox to statt it and that barely worked. What could be causing this draw?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is this new?, Rebuilt? Higher amp aftermarket?
I'd start by verifying your wiring is right if that is correct I might suspect a bad regulator which I believe is integrated on that Alternator?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this new?, Rebuilt? Higher amp aftermarket?
I'd start by verifying your wiring is right if that is correct I might suspect a bad regulator which I believe is integrated on that Alternator?
The alternator is a brand new 3G 130 amp alternator. It is possible that I wired it wrong but I just followed a diagram like the one above.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It goes to a switched 12V source to excite the alternator and begin charging. Other diagrams show either a charge indicator light or a 560 ohm resistor in that wire. I used the resistor.
Yea i wired that as well. What could actually be causing this draw? Same thing happened this morning, I had 14 volts to begin with, 6 hours later I was below 2 volts at the battery.

·
Registered
762 Posts
2 volts is crazy low. You should charge the battery and take it to an autoparts store to be load tested. It sounds like a bad battery.

If the battery test okay, try disconnecting only the alternator from the battery to see if it still drains.

The battery should be holding a lot of juice. I would think a draw that large would produce some heat.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Could this be connected to your headlight issue? Were you troubleshooting that and forgot to turn them off? Hopefully just a bad battery, but it would be weird for a battery to be THAT bad.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
2 volts is crazy low. You should charge the battery and take it to an autoparts store to be load tested. It sounds like a bad battery.

If the battery test okay, try disconnecting only the alternator from the battery to see if it still drains.

The battery should be holding a lot of juice. I would think a draw that large would produce some heat.

And it does, With a cold car I will use a hand held thermal imager and just scan the alternator and fuse boxes if the current draw is substantial it shows in seconds. It saves a little time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Will your battery drain if you take the cables off and let it sit or only while connected?
If not, I'm still thinking if all is wired properly then a bad regulator.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts