Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of battery should I buy for my 66 mustang coupe? She has a 302 engine, 5 speed MT. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Good luck finding a 24F that still has the step on the side that the factory type fold-down will secure, but I've read some may be available at Tractor Supply.

I have bought my last three from the local Ford Dealer, and even though they didn't have the step, they have all worked very well for a long time.

Almost any group 24F battery will work.
Some say Interstate. Some say Wal-Mart.
Some say .... you get the idea. Truth is, most are made in one of three major plants in the country and re-branded. A basic battery is around $100. An Optima battery is a good choice for the more modern crowd and around $200. And you can spend $400 for a reproduction of the original Autolite if you're a Cocours guy.

Just look for something with 500 or more Cold Cranking Amps, I recommend staying away from the "maintenance-free" sealed types and stick with a battery that has two or more removable caps to periodically check the electrolyte level.

Happy New Year !!

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
Actually, installing the 67-70 battery tray will give you problems, too. There is a 65-66 tray that's a direct fit, but uses the 67-70 hold-down.

Of course, there are still batteries available that have the hold down lip.

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
What type of battery should I buy for my 66 mustang coupe? She has a 302 engine, 5 speed MT. Thanks
I was browsing around the Interstate Battery store the other day while having the battery replaced in my Magnum... it looks like there are a couple possibilities out there for batteries with a length close to that of the 24F and correctly oriented cables. Can't remember which, though.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
66 owner here, as others stated above, great time to upgrade to a 67+ style battery tray with hold down supports! With 50 plus years of service and battery acid, I do not know what your battery tray looks like, below is what was left of my original 66 one. Previous owner had the battery and battery tray supported with zip ties.

As for battery, I follow consumer reports but have let my subscription go, last car battery test I recall from them (it has been a while), but #1 and the most recommended car battery is Interstate. I was given 2 batteries to chose from my local Interstate dealer. Heck, COSTCO now sells Interstate, you can save a few bucks over the factory store. I went with the 750 cold cranking amps. No, the battery does not have the lip for the 66 style battery tray, but again, great time to upgrade to a 67+ style battery tray.

I also reccomend getting a battery mat, cheap insurance to soak up any acid and protect your battery tray so it does not end up looking like my origional one.

·
Premium Member
12,018 Posts
I was browsing around the Interstate Battery store the other day while having the battery replaced in my Magnum... it looks like there are a couple possibilities out there for batteries with a length close to that of the 24F and correctly oriented cables. Can't remember which, though.
Group 48.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Excide makes the correct 24F battery with the mounting tabs at the bottom. Have seen them at Tractor Supply. The battery that my local Menards sells has the correct mounting tabs as well, just can't remember the brand.They are still out there.
John

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
I purchased a 24F with the case step hold down summer of 2018 from Battery Warehouse for my '65. Had a similar battery from Interstate, previously. As mentioned 24Fs are still available. Personally, I wouldn't change the pan.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've had great luck with Optima red tops over the years although I hear something changed with them and they aren't as dependable as they used to be?

·
Premium Member
12,018 Posts
There are some modern vehicles that use the 24F battery so it is still available but it no longer has the lugs on the end that the '65/'66 Mustang needs for the hold-down clamp to attach to. Exide's 24F had the lugs up until a year or two ago. Go look at a current Interstate or Exide battery and the lugs are gone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts