Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine was trying to get his '65 mustang to start for the first time in over a year. He was using a red negative cable (which I told him not to) as well as red positives. He got them mixed up and put the negative cable from the starter solenoid to the negative battery terminal. The positive is supposed to run from the solenoid to the battery and the negative grounds to the engine, right? I looked in my Haynes manual to double check. Anyways, he tried to start and nothing happened...he called me and I told him the cables were mixed up. After changing them nothing would happen , the lights wouldn't even come on.
What happened? What could be damaged?

G

·
if he switched the wires around, start with the fuses, then move to the starter selonid, you probably will have to jump the selonoid. good luck.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
The P.O. of my 66 used a red cable for the negative and black cable for positive. Naturally when I put the car back together I had + and - reversed. The car started fine and ran that way for a week or so. Only problems I had were that the battery wouldn't hold a charge and the radio kept blowing fuses, everything else worked OK. Then I found the problem, corrected the leads, and over the next few weeks the battery went bad, the alternator toasted and the regulator fried!

If your buddys battery is reading a full 12+ volts, yet he's not getting juice to anything, I'd say he either has a bunch of blown fuses or major wire fryage. If it's wires, then he's just got to take a meter and trace the wiring back from the battery through the car to find it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts