Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am almost done swapping in a fresh 289 to replace my worn out one. I am at the point of connecting the battery to try and turn it over. Every time I connect the posts though, within a couple of minutes the positive post starts to get very warm along with some of the wiring. I have replaced the starter relay and the alternator, but it still is doing it. And this is without having even turned the key over!! What in the world is going on? ::

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Sounds like a good description of a short.... try looking for a cable pinched to ground somewhere (maybe under a clamp). Follow the wire that gets hot and see if you can spot a problem there. I would try the starter wire first as most lighter wire would start smoking pretty quickly with a dead short. Good luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice. The wire to the alternator seems to be getting hot also, at least the plug part gets hot. That could be the problem. The PO cut the ground wire at the plug and rerouted it directly to the ground position on the alternator. It looks to be clean though, and has been that way since I bought it. I will look at the starter wire and see if that has a problem in it.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
If you have that bad a short, you should be seeing a spark at the battery cable when you go to connect it.

A quick and easy way of eliminating a bunch of circuits is to remove the fuses one at a time and see if you still get the spark when you go to connect the battery cable. Same thing for wires going to the alternator, etc. I once had a short in a cigarette lighter that would cut the lights and kill the engine when you punched the lighter in. I discovered it while cruising at >80 MPH at night and decided to have a smoke! ::

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That could be. I did pinch a couple of wires when I pulled the motor from my fairlane to swap into my mustang.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts