Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new optima battery all mounted and ready just have a few things I want to clear up before I go any farther. The wiring going up to the front like the relay and the starter and all that, should that go inside the car like underneath the carpet and rails or should i go underneath the car like on the outside? Also does anyone have any clever ideas for an on/off switch that isn't totally ugly. I've seen some behind license plates then you just remove the plate at the track, I think that's what I'm going to do but just wanted some other ideas, pics would be great. THANKS!

·
Registered
37,484 Posts
I would run it underneath in such a place that it would not be subject to damage, maybe up the right side of the tunnel (should be safe if you have loops). For a shut-off you can use Anderson quick connects for power (like the NASCAR guys) with the chassis end fixed to a plate and the battery end attached to either a rod or cable release to unplug the connection. We use this setup quite often on ride-on cleaning equipment, just punch the knob and "un-zap". For street action, remove the rod and stow in the trunk, and affix a magnetic decal over the hole.

·
Registered
10,176 Posts
Summit sells a Battery relocation set up, Battery box and enough fat cable to go where you want it. I like that idea of a removable link and knob to be covered with a magnetic emblem. I just have a black knob you push in on the rear, right next to the tail light. The on/off switch is mounted in the trunk. Using the battery box, vent the box outside of the trunk so gasses don't build up. Planning on going to a NHRA track with it? Tthey'll want the shut off to also kill the engine. Plus, they'll want a metal plate between the trunk and the back seat (20 gauge). Made my own. I ran the wiring over the right wheel house, through the valley under the scuff plate and out just inside the engine compartment, so it's under the rug only about 10". Some guys have relocated their solenoid back there by the battery so there isn't 9 feet of heavy live wire to short out. And triple insulate everywhere a sharp straight edge is.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,254 Posts
There are a surprising number of ways to accomplish this. Here's a link to a previous discussion that will give you some ideas. Note in my post there is another link to a discussion that came before that too. Some good info, I think.
Relocating the battery

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
JUST DID THIS ON MY 66 FB . Run the cable under the sill plate and behind/under the kick panel . I ran my cable thru a pcv grommet installed just below the heater box where the firewall curves down/back . I used some DEI heat sleeving to protect the cable from the heat radiated by the headders . One problem with the Summit relocation kit is that the battery box is for a group 27 battery . Go to Pacific Power Battery or equiv. for a battery kit .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts