Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mach has had the battery relocated to the trunk and I want to continue with this but to replace the cable (the guy used black cable for both the neg and pos). My question is, is it better to run the cable under the car or would I be better off routing it through the inside of the car for protection from the road. My thought would be through the interior but the PO ran it under the car. So which is better in your opinions and where did you run yours through? Any pics? Thanks!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I too plan on doin this modification, and would run it thru the interior. You have easy access into the trunk, and it would only recquire one hole in the firewall for cable routing, since you can go below the rear seat into the trunk.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Mine runs under the sill plate on the pax side.

Makes sense to me. I recall Shelby ran it under the car, but IMHO "race" cars are different than streeters due to more frequent inspection and maintenance.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Ran mine under the car, on the passenger's side. 1 ga. welding cable; seems to be pretty tough cover on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
I'm in the process of doing this right now.
I worry about running the cables inside the car because I can't find a way to protect them from being stepped on etc.

I've mounted a 3/4" conduit under the center hump, above the drive shaft and exhaust pipes. In the back of the conduit, I added a 90degree elbow to get the wires back inside the car and under the rear seat where I'll protect them with plastic flex pipe. The relay and other associated electronics will be mounted in the cavity between the rear seat and the trunk. Of course, the battery will be in the trunk.

The starter relay is also located in the trunk, so I'll have
a 2 gauge starter wire, and the two wires from the alternator (3G style).

From the engine compartment, you really have to look to see the wires. It's clean and protected from rocks, water etc from the road.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I was able to feed mine inside the car. From the trunk, just fed it through to under the passenger side door sill plate.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Maybe the PO used the black cable under the car so it wouldn't stand out like a red cable would. Unless it is damaged, why not just paint it red at the battery and in the engine compartment if that is your concern? Just a thought.

Lou

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the idea of running it through the sill plate. I didnt even think of that despite the fact that my speaker wires in my 66 are run via that same route! The car sat outside in North Carolina for around 6 years and the battery cable is extremely dirty (and possibly with cracked insulation in places) and a little too close to the headers for my liking so I'd like to relocated it. Plus when I do get around to starting the resto in a month or so I want to this up as seemless as possible (that's kind of the theme for this one). Thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Is your solenoid going to be mounted in the trunk also? I relocated the battery and solenoid to the trunk in my 70 mach. Mounted the solenoid on the vertical trunk/folddown brace (passenger side) and ran all the wires over the passenger wheelhouse, through the passenger sill plates, and through a hole in the toe board just a few inches below the firewall. It is high enough that people won't hit it with their feet, but low enough that you can't really see it with the hood open. It is basically a straight shot from the starter to this hole in the toe board. If you need pics let me know. Moving the solenoid means the larger cable is only hot when you are cranking the motor over. Otherwise the cable would be hot constantly since it is going from the battery in the trunk to the solenoid in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didnt even think about that. Yes I will be mounting the solenoid in the trunk as well. If you could send me some pics of that setup that would be great! I'll send you a PM with my e-mail addy. THanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts