Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting my 67 Mustang out of long term hibernation. The battery was bad so I replaced it with a new Group 24F from Costco. When I went to install the new battery I noticed the base of the battery is wider than the bottom of the tray (10” x 6.5” battery vs. 9” x 7” tray). I really didn’t look too closely when I removed the previous battery. I did a quick search and found that there is a group 27 tray, but I did not get the larger size battery.

Is the battery supposed to fit into or onto the tray? Is the battery non-standard?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Has to fit into the tray. DON'T EVEN TRY putting it onto it. You'll blow up the battery as soon as you close the hood (and it makes contact with the posts).

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good thought but the height is fine, no risk of hitting the hood. From all of the specifications online, the battery is fine but the tray is more narrow than the group 24 standard. The tray appears stock.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I still wouldn't trust a battery that doesn't fit the tray. Did you get it at a local store? If so, they should take it back for the simple reason that it doesn't fit the stock tray. Did you give the store your old battery as a core? It should have been matched.

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
A 24F should measure 10-3/4 inches by 6-13/16 inches. Even the standard 22F was 9-1/2 inches long by 6-7/8 inches wide. Also, FWIW, the group 27F battery option wasn't available until 1969.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There doesn’t seem to be anything out of the ordinary size-wise with the battery. The original tray must be for a group 22, which is obsolete. The battery I removed must have fit the same way. I’ll have to update the tray.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts