Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to secure my battery. 1966 coupe. What battery tie down setup can be used?

Allen

·
Premium Member
13,154 Posts
Apparently nobody sells a 24F battery with the lugs on the ends that were originally used to restrain it in '65/'66 cars. All of the Mustang parts dealers sell a replacement battery tray that uses the '67 and later hold down system.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
+1 on the 67 style battery tray/hold down on a 65/66. Ditched my 66 battery tray, it was corroded/rusted in half. The 67 was direct fit into my 66, and love the fact that the battery is actually secured into position. It can be a bit trickey to get the battery hook installed correctly between the battery and front frame, but not a reason not to upgradede to it. I also installed a battery mat for the try, so it will soak up any corrosive stuff and wont corrode the tray that it rust in half again.

I swear I bought mine as a kit, that included the entire battery tray, hold down rods, top support, and butterfly nuts.......but for the life of me, do not see a kit on NPD or CJ Pony. Both sites, it looks like you have to buy the tray, then the rods, butterfly nuts, and top bracket separately.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Reactions: Fly2xs

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I think I told you wrong above, I think I went with a replacement 65/66 tray and bought the 65/66 battery tray hold down conversion kit as 65coupei6 stated. The 67 battery tray is totally different, you can still see the hold down block mount on the bottom of my tray below, which is a 65/66 thing.

Anyhoo......+1 on the modification since most batterys will not have the lip needed on the bottom for the 65/66 mounting system.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
There are a couple batteries out there with the "ridges" on the ends for hold downs but not in 24F.... There are some 22NF/22F, some 34R and, IIRC, a H6R.

If you want to get out of it rather cheaply, grab a "universal" battery hold-down kit, which will come with the top bracket and 2 j-hooks and nuts, and two 1/2 inch washers. Pull your tray and position everything properly, mark it, then tack weld the washers to the side of the tray so the hole is BELOW the base so the j-hooks have something to hook to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts