Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, quickie for you.

Relocating my battery up to the engine bay again (...see other thread.. still not impressed. hah). Bought a battery tray (i've never had the battery up front). I see the two vertical bolts that go through threaded inserts.

But there are two through-holes in the bottom piece of metal on the tray. I assume these are to go through the apron? (I must have replaced the battery side apron at some point). No holes. Just through holes as well with a nut.. or are they too supposed to get a nutsert?

Thanks!

·
Registered
961 Posts
There should be a reinforcement plate below the sheet metal that the tray sits on. The plate is welded to the bottom side of the sheet metal, and has nuts welded to it.

It is an area prone to rust and/or damage due to battery acid.

Here is a picture of one that had the spot welds drilled out, and the part removed (held in hand). Note the two square nuts attached to the plate.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
They used two clip nuts on the battery tray. The bolts went in the apron holes from under the apron to the battery tray. The holes are located just above the frame rail on the apron. Bolt the tray in on the vertical and you can then mark and drill where the horizontal holes go.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roger that, thanks! (I'd use nutserts, but I only have a stash of metric).

Speaking of repro battery trays. Between the two holes on top, there is a hole that is 'punched down', so the tray can't sit flat. I can't imagine it's there for a reason?

Maybe there was a locating hole on the original apron?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I think that the hole punched in the tray aligns with a hole in the sheet metal. The intent would be to drain anything that ends up in the tray.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I had no idea that the apron had nuts on the bottom. Checked my repo panel and they are there. My DIY repair by the PO did not have them. That makes life easier.

·
Registered
961 Posts
The NPD 10769-3A battery reinforcement plate has the drain holes and captive nuts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts