Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all.

I have a replacement NAPA battery in my 64.5 Mustang, but I think I have one with the battery terminals reversed.

I believe that the positive terminal needs to be on the fender side, and the negative needs to be on the side closer to the engine.

Has anyone found a good source for a flat top battery that will be configured like this?

This photo is the way it should be I think... (that is a fake cover in the pic)

http://www.jasonzimberoff.com/mustang/images/IMG_4977.JPG

The one I have now has the wire from the solenoid going to the post on the right.

Thanks!

-Zim

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Most vintage Mustangs use 24F battery. This is a very common battery stocked by most
places that have car parts! I'm surprized NAPA sold you the wrong one!!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
oops

·
Registered
863 Posts
zim64half said:
Has anyone found a good source for a flat top battery that will be configured like this?
I found several at different auto parts stores that had the right post configuration, but they all had the hold down lip in the wrong location. On the way home I stopped at Wal-Mart to get something else, and decided to check out the batteries...And there it was... both the posts and hold down were correct.
I had to use a dremel to open up the holes a bit on the fake cover , but then it all went together perfect

·
Registered
38 Posts
get a battery for a 95 to 00 ford contour. it is a reverse terminal battery and has worked well in my fathers 66 since we had a spare around. you can even get the battery at wal-mart. as for the size it is the same as an optima redtop 34R. fits great with the battery tie down adaptor set you can get from Mustangs Unlimited.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
For what it's worth, I couldn't find a 24 anywhere in Wilmington, Delaware. It was really sort of silly. I ended up with an Interstate Batteries 85 I think, from my local Firestone place - the only one that fit, had the polarity right and had the lip for the factory 65 hold-down. That was the third battery I bought - I got one at Pep Boys and then one at NAPA before I settled on thisone. It was to the point where I was physically measuring the battery to see if it would fit, rather than going with a particular number.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts