Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any recommendations on good paint/body shops or members here that do aide work? I haven’t had a car painted so I don’t know the landscape nowadays. If anyone has any recommendations and know what a decent pint job would run me is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
As usual, it depends on what you want or how bad the car is. In the Sacramento area ive had a coupe painted for 1500, another coupe painted for 3500 and currently my fastback is at the painters and will probably be double that by the time its done.

·
Registered
162 Posts
For a number of reasons that I will not get into in this post, finding a high quality body shop in a high rent, highly regulated region such as the Bay Area is becoming increasingly difficult. Finding one that would even consider doing a total repaint on a vintage car for a "reasonable" price is bordering on impossible. Unfortunately, it usually comes down to a tug of war over money. In general, the customer may not understand the value of someone else's labor and wants a deal while the paint shop has a reputation for a certain level of quality and needs to make a profit. The chasm between these two perspectives is often significant.
While there was a time in the recent past where a small collision shop and a local Maaco franchise would take on these jobs, it required that the customer (me) do the lion share of the preparation, disassembly, and reassembly. My local Maaco (who did very nice work at the lower end of the price spectrum) apparently has shied away from classic repaints.
With this as the backdrop, I suggest you attend local car shows and gatherings and ask fellow hobbyists for referrals. Also, consider looking for a shop in the valley (north of Sacramento or south of Fresno) where the cost of doing business is lower.
My opinion is based upon 3 total repaints between 2004 and 2008 that cost me approximately $2500, $3000, and $7500. YMMV.
Good luck and let us know where you end up taking your car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts