Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finished the installation of the shock tower reinforcing kit from NPD. It arrived without any directions. Thanx for the pictures from Laurie & others they where helphful. Decided to post some pictures of the installation in no particular order. If they can be of any help to others who are planning to install the kit so be it. You can look at: www.ont-home-health.on.ca/shocktowerweb/shocktowerweb1

The 2 pictures of the motor are as it sits behind my desk at work and it really belongs in the car not there

Hope to have this puppy on the road before winter storage time. :eek:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Nice work doug
where did you buy the kit at??
chris
Finally finished the installation of the shock tower reinforcing kit from NPD.
Perhaps a new prescription is in order? Wink wink, nudge nudge. ;) ;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have the all too common grease zerk access holes drilled in the front side of my towers from one of who knows how many POs. My question is, is this type of reinforcement kit necessary or is it overkill for most cars that do not have monstrously modified big blocks with plans for racing, etc. etc. Would a simple patch of the holes suffice, or is this type of strength the better option? I am all for erring on the safe side, just don't want to slap extra steel everywhere I think may need it. I think we can agree that saving weight in the engine compartment is usually in our best interest.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Erik: Good question. I did a quite a bit of research and the jury is out on whether the kit was necessary or not. I decided that as the motor was coming out why not. The 428scj motor going into the 67 has aluminum heads and intake manifold. I plan on weighing both the old 302 and the new motor before installing. It will be interesting to see the weigh difference. The real issue is torque. Many, Many years ago I had a 67 GTA (Fairlane). The stress on the metal was such that we should have added reinforcement to the front end. That is the main reason I opted to reinforce the tower.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts