Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Eastwood type sandblasting gun that pulls the sand out of a bucket. Can I buy the beadblast sand and use this same gun? Will it need a different nozzle? Wanted to beadblast some parts(intake, old aluminum slots wheels etc) but do not want to use the regular sandblast sand as it;s too rough
Thanks
Dave.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I don't know what the politically correct answer is, but I used the same setup you have with glass bead (pirated from my blast cabinet) on parts that are too large to fit in my blast cabinet. I didn't even change the nozzle.

Tip: hang a sheet of plastic drop cloth in the corner of your garage and drape it across the floor. blast your part in that corner and you can collect the media, fiter it, and re-use it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
Where can I buy glass bead sand? Would Lowes have it or a specialty supplier? Also what type of screen/filter did you use. Downfall from living out in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
531 Posts
I got mine from Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com) because they were cheaper than Eastwood. In their search box type "glass bead". It's showing $17.99 for a 25 pound box. Yes, it's expensive, hence, my tip to re-use it.

I haven't seen abrasive sold at any of your regular "do-it-yourself" outlets. You might talk to auto body or restoration shops in your area to see if they have any recommendations.

P.S. - If you decide to order from Harbor Freight, get on their mailing list first. They will send you weekly sale magazines. Occasionally it's on sale, and they will offer free shipping.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sorry, didn't see part 2 of your question.

Eastwood sells a blast media filter for $7.99. I recommend it for what you are going to do as well as anyone with a cabinet. It ultimately saves you time, because the removed grit will drive you crazy when it constantly clogs up your siphon gun.

Got to http://www.eastwoodcompany.com and type in "media filter" in the search box.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I get my glass bead at a contractor supply house. Saves on shipping through Eastwood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts