Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have beat on this subject a million times. The temp gauge in my 66 with a 6 cylinder and air is reading 220 to 230. It is 96 degrees here in NC today and I wanted to see how the air would do. I just put a new three core brass and copper radiator with a 6 bladed fan and a shroud made for a 20 inch radiator. I also installed one of the grill to radiator covers. Suppose to direct air into the radiator. It started out normal and 20 minutes later slowly started creeping up. I have a 180 thermostat and a high flow water pump. 50/50 mix in radiator. It went up to 235 at one time and went down to 225 on the highway. Now to be fair I stayed on city streets with stoplights every block. Speed limit 45. Stopped at Home Depot and lifted hood to see if anything looked out of the ordinary. It didn’t smell hot and there was no bubbling. When I got home I quickly got my heat gun to check everything. It was almost dead on to the gauge inside. i ran down the highway at about 70 for 10 miles or so to see if it would cool off. No, if fact it went up one time to 235. Now all this time the air was on, blowing ice cold. I guess I don’t run the ac or does anyone else have an idea?

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang, Windsor 302 V8, C4 Automatic Transmission, Holley 600 Carburetor
613 Posts
I know I have beat on this subject a million times. The temp gauge in my 66 with a 6 cylinder and air is reading 220 to 230. It is 96 degrees here in NC today and I wanted to see how the air would do. I just put a new three core brass and copper radiator with a 6 bladed fan and a shroud made for a 20 inch radiator. I also installed one of the grill to radiator covers. Suppose to direct air into the radiator. It started out normal and 20 minutes later slowly started creeping up. I have a 180 thermostat and a high flow water pump. 50/50 mix in radiator. It went up to 235 at one time and went down to 225 on the highway. Now to be fair I stayed on city streets with stoplights every block. Speed limit 45. Stopped at Home Depot and lifted hood to see if anything looked out of the ordinary. It didn’t smell hot and there was no bubbling. When I got home I quickly got my heat gun to check everything. It was almost dead on to the gauge inside. i ran down the highway at about 70 for 10 miles or so to see if it would cool off. No, if fact it went up one time to 235. Now all this time the air was on, blowing ice cold. I guess I don’t run the ac or does anyone else have an idea?
I had a similar situation happen to me on the freeway taking the last half of a 122-round mile trip. I had 61 miles to go and got the 1970 to 70 mph. It wouldn't budge or go any faster(I assume it's gearing). But, the gauge crept up. Under this situation, I assume it's because my gearing and top speed were causing the engine to creep up. Anything under 70, the car seems to be fine temperature-wise. I could be totally wrong on this since I had this happen to me only one time when I crept it up to this speed. I would see what other people have to say first before taking this as an answer. Not only that, but you also drove the car under different conditions unlike me.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
what gauge are you using? the factory one?

i dont think zapping it with an IR gun is the same thing

install a cheap mechanical gauge and use that as a reference point

how is your rad cap. I think 14 pounds IIRC

is your stat installed right side up with the arrow going forward towards the rad?

have the spring in your lower hose?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a good after market temp guage installed. Bottom hose does have a spring, thermostat is in correctly. My radiator cap is a 16 lb. I have the factory gauge hooked up also, but in a heater hose. It reads hot also.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
I don't see the problem. Nothing came out of the radiator, you didn't smell or see anything abnormal and your AC is blowing cold. Sounds to me like everything is working exactly like it's supposed to.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't see the problem. Nothing came out of the radiator, you didn't smell or see anything abnormal and your AC is blowing cold. Sounds to me like everything is working exactly like it's supposed to.
Yeah, I don’t disagree but the high temps wouldn’t bother you ? I’m just a worry wart

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,129 Posts
Nothing an electric fan wouldn't fix.

Muahahah!
Or not do anything but block air at speed. If his engine cooled off on the highway I'd say it's worth a try, but it didn't.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I wouldn't be keen on it running 235 degrees at highway speeds. Try driving on the highway with the AC off and see if it makes much difference.

Tire Vehicle registration plate Grille Car Vehicle

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
2,094 Posts
@Adtrivett I would be a little concerned running 235 on the highway too. While that isn't over heating per se, it certainly seems outside the norm. Id expect to be closer to the 220 range. Let us know what the test run shows without the AC on.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts