Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 400whp/440tq(just Dynod) 347 in a 65 convertible mustang with a stock t5. I currently have the stock open diff(with some steeper gears my dad put in for towing the boat, I think 3.31?). I was thinking about putting this in:
https://www.currieenterprises.com/ce-5018
Anything else I should do? (besides look for a 9 inch which might not be needed for this hp/tq)

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
I've read at-length articles that the 8" can be just as sturdy as a 9" unless you just had to have big-journal bearings and 31 spline, maybe with a spool for drag etc. I have pounded the $h!+ out of some 8s and never broke one, but I've broken a couple of u-joints and a trans mount.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Which T-5 do you have, the stock GT Mustang one or the Cobra T5z spec'd one? The first gear ratio for a stock GT Mustang sucks as it is way too low. Regardless with a single leg rear end traction will be an issue. I was fortunate to find an 8" Traction Lok in a bone yard years ago. It has held up to plenty of abuse. I have heard good things about the new style Detroit locker that you posted. I see Traction Lok 8" units are available for a little less. https://www.quickperformance.com/Ford-8-Inch-Trac-Lok-Posi-Unit_p_16014.html

·
Registered
978 Posts
I think your rear gear is good and a true track is a good choice.
But as mentioned previously, you’ll break the T5 before you break the 8 inch.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Yup. That T-5's a goner with slicks...... or DOT "slicks"
(high HP, slicks and missed shifts are the kryptonite for that trans)
Never broken an 8" diff. I've broken leaf spring segments, u-joints, engine mounts, etc. though.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I've got a T5 behind my 408 stroker, typically flog the dogsh*t out of it, and it's held up just fine. As for your rear end, look into the Explorer swap. It's an easy was to swap in not only a double legger, but better gears AND disc brakes. Best part is, they're fairly cheap to obtain!

·
Registered
990 Posts
I've got an 8in with Dutchman axles, a trak lok and 3.55's within the later '67 case. It lives behind my 420hp 331 and t5z on the street with 225/60r15's.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've got a T5 behind my 408 stroker, typically flog the dogsh*t out of it, and it's held up just fine. As for your rear end, look into the Explorer swap. It's an easy was to swap in not only a double legger, but better gears AND disc brakes. Best part is, they're fairly cheap to obtain!
Interesting, what tires are you running on the rear?

·
Registered
417 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Has anyone bought from Alan since he took over for TJ? I don’t have experience from either but was planning on buying from TJ based on feedback here. I saw following the link today that TJ has passed away, and Alan has taken over the operation (per the eBay page).
I have. Great guy to do business with.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Has anyone bought from Alan since he took over for TJ? I don’t have experience from either but was planning on buying from TJ based on feedback here. I saw following the link today that TJ has passed away, and Alan has taken over the operation (per the eBay page).
I bought mine Before TL passed. however Alan was already working with/for TJ. He has expressed his commitment to the same great service TJ provided.If I ever had the need again I wouldn't hesitate to use them again

·
Registered
417 Posts
I bought mine Before TL passed. however Alan was already working with/for TJ. He has expressed his commitment to the same great service TJ provided.If I ever had the need again I wouldn't hesitate to use them again
Thanks

1 - 20 of 53 Posts