Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am finally getting back on project. Family, work and of course just life has been busy. But I am taking a different approach to my mustang. I decided not to get the performance kit and just stick to getting headers, intake and maybe a cam. I already have a 600cfm carb. The idea is to stick to original parts as much as I can.

I want to slap on the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap Intake and Long Tube headers. The questions I have is will it be ok with the stock cam or should I get a performance cam? The other question is what brand headers should I get?

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Assuming a 289?

I think you will be disappointed in the results if you just put an RPM or RPM AirGap and headers on your car. You're going to have an intake that wakes up right where your cam and heads fall asleep. The headers may do a bit more for you but all said and done I don't think you will get much useable horsepower just "slapping" parts on a stock 289. I think the longtubes are just going to produce a bunch of heat under your hood and make changing spark plugs worse without giving you much benefit in the RPM range you'll be stuck in. You can change your cam but that's only half of the equation on SBFs, these engines want more flow through the heads.

If you don't want to touch the longblock I recommend a Weiand Street Warrior intake, 500cfm carb, HiPo manifolds and dual exhaust. And you're mostly just getting the muscle car cool factor of a 4bbl carb and dual exhaust, you won't have a speed demon on your hands.

Reactions: 67Modcoupe

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jdub! Looks like I'll have to rethink it and maybe just go with the rebuild and probable go with the E Street kit 2027 or Performer RPM 2091. And yes its a 289 C Code.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Mean, IF you rebuild your 289, be ceratian to get the correct pistons. Many, MANY of the 289s are done with the wrong pistons. You'll want Silvolite 3101HC pistons. LSG

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
you can do intake cam & headers pretty cheap and it can easily make power to 6k rpm and still drive like stock with a little rumble. those parts are not anywhere near pushing the limit of the stock heads. it has been done a million times lol. A mild cam with rpm intake & headers will be humming around 300hp mark give or take. a 600cfm carb will fit perfectly with that. back in the day i had 302 stock replacement crate engine , threw on a performer intake, [email protected] .512 lift cam, 1-5/8 full length headers and 750 edelbrock carb (btw edelbrock carb cfm ratings are inflated). with a little carb tuning it ran great. it was a fun little motor, i would shift it at around 6000 rpm. never had it dyno'ed never cared cuz it was just a beater. i was a teeneager did that on a McDonalds paycheck lmao !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts