Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am back after a long hiatus. Moved to a new house, and have been adjusting to life, and ready to start getting back to work. Quick update, installed 302 out of an 88 bronco, and a T5 from what is supposed to be out of a 90's mustang GT. its all installed except clutch and drive shaft. the clutch is installed, but the slave cylinder has not been bled or the line run from the reservoir. That's my next part to do. My question is this, I have the original rear end that was from my 66 V8 car, what rear end is in it, and is the drive shaft I have enough for the 302 (appx 300 HP)? Second, what rear end gears should I put in it. don't really want to change a bunch of stuff and shorten rear axles and stuff like that. Do I need to get a different yoke for the drive shaft to put in the T5 as I originally had the 3 speed. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Your 66 could have about 6 different rear ends in it. If you can get a number of the tag on it, I have a 66 Factory Service Manual and I can tell you what it is. If the 302 is fairly stock, it should handle it OK. I don't know for certain but it's a good guess that you'll have to have a different yoke for the T5 end.

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
If your car was originally a 289 2 barrel or 4 barrel non-Hi-Po car, it should have an 8" ring gear and they are plenty strong to handle 300 and then some. If you had a K-code 289 Hi-Po, you probably have a 9" and it's more than enough. If you had a 6 cylinder car, they came with a light duty 7 3/4" ring gear diff and your V8 will eat it under anything but light in-town cruising, and in that case I would search for an 8 or 9 inch rear diff with the 54" width axle flange to axle flange, or search the threads here for a replacement 8.8" rear from an Explorer or newer Mustang. As far as what axle ratio, that depends on how you wanna drive it, and you can go a little taller with the OD in the T5, but the T5 won't live long as a racing trans...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your car was originally a 289 2 barrel or 4 barrel non-Hi-Po car, it should have an 8" ring gear and they are plenty strong to handle 300 and then some. If you had a K-code 289 Hi-Po, you probably have a 9" and it's more than enough. If you had a 6 cylinder car, they came with a light duty 7 3/4" ring gear diff and your V8 will eat it under anything but light in-town cruising, and in that case I would search for an 8 or 9 inch rear diff with the 54" width axle flange to axle flange, or search the threads here for a replacement 8.8" rear from an Explorer or newer Mustang. As far as what axle ratio, that depends on how you wanna drive it, and you can go a little taller with the OD in the T5, but the T5 won't live long as a racing trans...
Thank you. It was originally an A code. I do know it is an 8 inch. I looked for a tag on it, couldn't find it, I'll try again tonight. No racing of the car, just gonna be a driver with a little fun from time to time.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
You can always do it old school, turn the wheel (off the ground) one complete revolution and see how many times the yoke turns. There is your ratio... If the other wheel goes in teh same direction, you likely have limited slip (two wheel burnouts), if it turns in teh opposite direction you have an open diff (one wheel burnout)...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. It was originally an A code. I do know it is an 8 inch. I looked for a tag on it, couldn't find it, I'll try again tonight. No racing of the car, just gonna be a driver with a little fun f

1 - 6 of 6 Posts