Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a scan of the original add for my '70 Mach1 that I bought for $3300 and a bicycle on 4 July '88 near Lancaster PA. Found the snippet in a pile of center console debris. Undergoing reconstruction now (70mach.blogspot.com)

·
Registered
563 Posts
The Atlanta Advertiser, back in the day, used to be THE source for cars and trucks in the greater metro Atlanta area, which reaches as far East as Athens, Ga, and West to the Alabama state line.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
That is a neat bit of history.

I bought my 65 from an ad in the local newspaper.

I think pretty much all cars are sold from online ads any more.

Times do change!

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Auto Trader magazines is what I remember using. And the classifieds in the local paper.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Cool! I wasn't even two years old then, but I was near Lancaster. :)

Like pprince said, paper ads are dwindling (including non car ads, which is why my two local papers physically shrunk is size). Ebay was the hot place to go for cars when it was new. Now it has changed dramatically. Craigslist is pretty primitive and seems to be the marketplace for lower quality items and cars, but car dealerships advertise heavily on Craigslist and they advertise $40,000 cars.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Craigslist is pretty primitive and seems to be the marketplace for lower quality items and cars, but car dealerships advertise heavily on Craigslist and they advertise $40,000 cars.

Every used car I've bought or sold over the last 5-6 years or so has been from Craigslist, including my Mustang. I love it. Nothing beats advertising for free.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
1964 Found one owner all original 52,000 mile 37 Ford deluxe coupe in local paper.
it was better than the ad said...bought it.

1972 found "nice" 56 Ford vert (Sunliner) in Hemmings. Had 1 pic in ad. It was in La.Ca. I was in Milw Wi. Bought it...shipped by rail...best deal/car/bargain in my life!

1977 found 1968 Mustang vert in Chicago paper. Drove down from Milwaukee. Looked at it and bought it.

1984 driving on detour saw 1970 Torino GT vert with shaker sitting in yard. Stopped after work looked it over (with permission) made offer, bought it.

Those were the old days.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Like the old saying "garbage in , Garbage out" Craigslist does have a bunch of junk, but also jems. I use it all the time to buy and sell, the price is right. Also a lot of people that aren't into cars and other stuff put things on it, that can be a real deal.. plus gives car trader and ebay some competition.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,665 Posts
I bought my car from Craigslist :) I love it because you get all kinds of cool deals on there from people who don't know what their stuff is worth. And all kinds of cool deals from people who do know what their stuff is worth, but have priced it to sell (my car!)

I hate when people put up ads with no pictures. Though now that I think about it, most classified ads are like that!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I bought my car from Craigslist :) I love it because you get all kinds of cool deals on there from people who don't know what their stuff is worth. And all kinds of cool deals from people who do know what their stuff is worth, but have priced it to sell (my car!)

I hate when people put up ads with no pictures. Though now that I think about it, most classified ads are like that!
In the old days you took some pics with your Kodak film camera. Waited maybe a week to get them developed. Pick out a good one for the ad. The one weekend ad was maybe $20 for 2 lines $20 for small black and white pic. This $40 was in one paper.

Now we get national/www coverage on the forum for unlimited time and complain that it's not free!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Yup, got mine on a Craigslist "Items Wanted" ad.

Craigslist is a beautiful thang. http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bondo.gif

·
Registered
563 Posts
Craigslist is pretty primitive and seems to be the marketplace for lower quality items and cars, .
What about Craigslist is primitive? Where do you prefer to look for vintage or older autos and trucks?

Personally, I like lower prices, and I don't depend on a particular source to spare me lower quality anything. If I'm not savvy enough to know what is good and what is bad, then that's my fault, not the fault of whatever the source may be.

This is kind of what I was talking about in another thread the other day. A certain segment of today's old car enthusiast erroneously think that if it costs more, then it just absolutely must be better. Well, that's just not always so, but what the heck. There's a good market there to tap into.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Primitive in the (Internet) sense that it takes very little effort to post an ad and any lazy person can get on there and post junk:

i have an johnson rod 4 sell - call me -555-555-5555

Maybe I'm in a bad area for good items. There is so much crap being offered. Most privately owned cars for sale are junk. Most of the Mustangs are rotting in someone's backyard with a shirtless hick standing behind the car and they still want thousand for it.

I do like Craigslist; I check it about once a day. I found a great deal for my toploader on there. It's just so full of crap and people who don't care to put a little effort into writing a good description and posting a few clear pictures.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
The Trading Post, news paper print rag is where I searched for a year and a half for a 67 convertible K code. Had no idea back then that they only made 50 of them, and because I also required a 4 speed, that narrowed it down to 34 cars. Who knew? Found a K code vert 2 hours away. Too bad it was the paint code. Bought it anyway back in 91.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Sold one 65, and bought 2 on Craigslist, plus lots of parts. I find myself checking different cities daily for parts, if I need something specific. You can do a comprehensive Craigslist search for parts or cars on ponyforums.com, but alot of the listings are older.

·
Registered
316 Posts
papercuts and all...the king was

Hemmings...

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
I simply used the Saturday newspaper to find my 67. In 1975 there were a ton of 7 and 8 year old Mustangs in the paper. :pirate:

Didn't need to stinky internet or Craig's list or anything else back then. It WAS the way.

I think my dad did the same thing when he bought the 68 in 1971.

Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts