Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was set to do the Shelby drop today, but the more you learn, the more you dont know.

My entire front suspension and steering was installed by the PO. I suspect he used the lowest cost CJ Pony parts.

The UCA zerks are standard fittings that are useless. Im going to need the 90° extenders, so I may as well wait until those get here.

67 200/C4 no PS or AC

The front sits 2 in higher than the rear.

I think the car has replacement 6 cyl springs. 9 coils, .5625 wire diameter, maybe a bit smaller, its hard to measure on your back reaching up.

What should I check to determine why the front is 2 in higher than the rear? I dont think it is leaf spring sag, the rear looks like it sits as it should and should go slightly higher as the front comes down (LCG).

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Do the drop, put moog 8534 (BB) coils in front, 5 leaf mid eye or, (I like reverse eye) in rear. Then tweak your stance. This has worked well in all cars from a 200 to the 390.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If the suspension has been rebuilt, you may have 289 springs instead of the 6 cyl springs. Also, when replacing suspension components the car should be sitting on the ground before the suspension joints are torqued. If they are tightened while the car is in the air, the rubber in the A arms will keep the ride height up.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 200 is coming out and a 250 going in. Weight difference between the 200 and 250 is maybe 40 lbs and about 40 lbs more for the 289..

Im thinking about going with the CPP coilovers. The weight on the front end will change several times the next 18-24 months When I put in the 250, move the battery to the trunk, install AC. The $450 coilovers give me roller perches, new springs, new shocks and height adjustability.

On the other side of the coin I would like to spend $100 on a set of GT springs and use the other $350 on something else.

This is a cruiser, its going to be about the stance, looks and reliability.

·
Registered
10,266 Posts
Drop and email to Shaun at Street or Track. Tell him what you have and what you want your car to do. That's what I did for my suspension. He is very sharp and very helpful. I got almost all my suspension parts from Shaun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts