Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stock 1970 manual steering on my car. As I stand under the car (yes... I have lifts... be jealous), facing the back of the car looking up, my pitman arm curves like a C. This is making it strike the header, and thus I have a dent. I wonder if I have it on backwards? Anyone know?

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have mine at work with me today on a car trailer, I can look if you tell me what I am looking for.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
If your header was on backwards you would have more problems then that..
LOL....

i just got my '70 on the ground yesterday and when i cranked the wheels all the way to the right - the headers hit on the power steering cylinder... i need to get under there and see what needs to be done also... sounds like we have a similar problem ?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
If your header was on backwards you would have more problems then that..

I believe the lift will work no matter which way the car is pointing...
Man - you guys are brutal :D

Sorry CV - I never worked on a car with PS. Or a 70 for that matter. I can say that with your wheels straight ahead on a 65 MS car the pitman arm should be pointing straight ahead as well...

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Sorry for the fuzzy picture, but . . .
Here's mine, only goes in one way due to the cap on the rack side. From under the driver's side door towards the engine.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cpierce64/Pitman.jpg

Carl

·
Registered
171 Posts
My jackstands work either way too.

On my 69 351w with hooker supercomps, I had to dimple both sides to clear the pitman arm and the idler arm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts