Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Young JB, (JBStang) is off to Australia for 10 days with a hockey team representing Minnesota in some High school level tournament in Surfer's Paradise. Momma and I would have loved to go, but could only help him go.. While he is gone, I am trying to finish our project of installing a 351 W into his '66. I had to shim the motor mounts to keep the exhaust from the shock towers along with some other minor adjustments. One question I have is: will the hood fit? The W has a performer aluminum intake along with a 600 holley. I don't know if it will fit! (Haven't put the carb on yet.) I would hate to get it all together and have to give it to him "Bonnetless" This is a fresh motor. Anything special I should do in preping prior to start up?
I am hoping to have it ready in ten days, because two days after his return, there is a local car show that he is dying to enter. Another question, which I think I know the answer; Will he need a stall kit for his C4? The builder claims 400 + HP. Should I take the C6 out of my 73 Mach and put it in his car? The Mach won't be done for another year anyways.
Any help will be appreciated by this old fart, and I thank you all in advance.

JB

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
The performer intake should fit with a short air cleaner. A 1" drop down base should give a little extra room as well. Its going to be tight though. Make sure the air cleaner stud isn't too long now as well. Puddy works well for measuring clearance when you GENTLY close that hood for the first time.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I used the stock torque converter with a built 351W, built C-4, and 3.25 rear gears on my old '68 coupe. The stock converter is rated at just under 2,000 RPM. Driveablilty was excellent and the car would explode off the line (with or without traction). A fat person in the back seat always helped.

After assembled bring the hood (bonnet) down slowly on a ball of either silly putty or crumpled aluminum foil to check clearences. I am running 351W, Performer intake, Holly 4160 (600 CFM) carbureator, 1/2" carb spacer, and a fairly thin air cleaner; there is very little clearence, but it works.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts