Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
19,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I drove Murphy over to Chuck's house and we got both coupes lined up in his trailer bay. We have about 4 inches between them nose-to-nose and can just close the door. We started by thoroughly judging my coupe after it was up on jackstands. Surprisingly (to me), the car looks pretty good. There's no new rust underneath despite being in the rain in Charlotte at the Grand National. There is a lot of dust and basic dirt to clean up but that's no big deal.

We then started our work by dropping the gas tank, which has never been out of the car since June 3, 1968. There is a little surface rust on one corner we need to clean up and with the tank out of the car we can reach the rear axle easier to do a little work on that. I cleaned all the gunk off the tank and Chuck began using some steel wool to clean it. Tomorrow, we'll finish that and start to work on the rear axle. It was plenty hot and humid today, but I survived pretty much, and found new ways to get up and down from the floor without bothering my hip too much. Fortunately, the floor is very smooth and it's very easy to slide around on it without using a creeper. ::

First step--draining the tank:

http://www.tucsonpony.com/gas1.jpg

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Sigh, throw an inch thick "dusting" of rust back there and you pretty much so have what my car looked like. I spent a few hours the other day just under the seat area of my vert getting it ready to paint.

Re-restoring my eye ;) . More like maintenance to me.

(Still) looking good.

·
Administrator
19,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We last did the rearend in 1998, so it's a little rough now. I did redo the pumpkin in 2001 so it's a little better shape than the rest. You can't really see it in the picture, but the axles are very rough in places due to sitting in the snow at the University of Cincinnati during two winters. Also, you can see some white marks on the right side of the axle. For some reason, the brake line is bouncing and it rubbed the paint off there. We're also going to remove that brake line because it's showing some surface rust. Then, mainly maintenance to finish the rear off. That's the problem with the concours trailered class...everything has to be perfect not just good. ::

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
If the gas tank has never been out of the car then what kind of finish is on it now? it's hard totell form the picture but it looks like galvanized steel... now if that's the case, and it's original then I hate you... I really hate you if all you ever had to do was clean it up with steel wool. ;)

if that has been painted with some look alike galvanized product, then I don't hate you, you did a nice job. What in the world do you consider a restoration then, if this is a rerestoration? Just curious, because I am planning on taking my coupe to concourse trailered level, but, it IS NOT gonna be easy. It is an original arizona car, and was in AZ from 68 to 83, but 83 to 95 it sat outside all the time and from 95-present it has been cared for decently, but still, I have a TON of catching up to do.

LOVE THAT CAR!!!! ::

·
Administrator
19,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please don't hate me, but that's the original galvanized finish and the only cleaning I've ever done is with steel wool. :eek: Last summer, I spent about four hours slowly going over the whole tank, so I've paid my dues with it. ;)

I'm calling it a re-restoration because we restored the rear axle in 1998, and this is a redo. I've cleaned the gas tank a couple of times, but since it was never detached from the car, I couldn't get to the edges, which need a little sanding to remove surface rust. Same with the engine--we totally restored the engine and engine bay in 2000, and it's still pretty darned good. But we did notice that the bolts on the exhaust manifold are pitted, so we'll replace those. Everything else is general cleaning in the engine.

The other major thing we'll do is pull both driprails finally and try and take the dents out. In the interior, one judge keeps claiming that the hinge area is dirty (and it will pass a white glove test!) so we're going to airbrush some new Sunlit Gold paint back in there to spiff it up a little.

Concours, it's all in the details....and the patience. ::

I'll have more pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I don't know what to say... that's just wrong...
of course, your car was never undercoated, and my 94 is the same way. I have been caught waxing the underside of the car, laying on a creeper, and that car I have owned since 1998, so it was barely 4 years old when I got it, and I have kept it looking that way ever since. So, I understand how easy it must be since you've had the car for this long.

That still doesn't make it right! I don't know whether to laugh or cry... You should feel so proud of that car!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ahh.. I wish my axel housing looked like that. I wish I was on the detailing end. Pretty car.

·
Administrator
19,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, Murphy has not had an easy life, I was very hard on my poor coupe when it was my daily driver. I went four-wheeling in it, drove it up a creek bed once (we have some pinchweld damage to fix next week from that escapade), used to carry picks and shovels in the trunk, and quite often tested the acceleration power of the engine. ;)

It was my daily driver until 1985 and so it's been a long way back to bring the car up to trailered concours standards. It has always been a good, solid car for restoration as I never cut the interior or did anything really stupid to it (other than the above incidents). I was lucky it wasn't undercoated as it was supposed to be but the dealership was having a wildcat strike the day we picked the car up. Then, we forgot about the undercoating, so I lucked out on that one.

And, yes, I am proud of Murphy...no matter what happens at a show. ::

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Do us all a favor and have the gas tank boiled before you do any sanding on it while removed (you know, the vapors and all...who was that who used a shop vac inside theirs {BOOM}).

I guess what I really meant was WOW, I wish mine was that done! Perhaps, one day, I'll show a picture like that and complain about what a mess my car is ::

1 - 11 of 11 Posts