Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reflecting on being a dad since I got some awesome great gifts from my wife and 5 year old son this morning (not to mention a new tv since the storm knocked out the main board on ours over the weekend). I never wanted to be a dad, family life wasn't for me. I divorced twice because both thought I'd change my mind. I was a selfish ***** and I wore it like a badge of honor. I justified it by telling myself so long as I didn't have kids I could be selfish.

I met my current wife and when she said she couldn't have kids I considered it a match made in heaven. She had spent thousands of dollars trying to get pregnant with her ex husband. So i figured i was safe.

We both worked a LOT, 12 hour days and 7 days a week was pretty normal for us. We decided to quit smoking and start running. We felt great, was keeping considerable more cash in our pockets and life was great. We started looking for the wife a sporty two seat convertable, we'd already bought her a sportster and I was going to replace my 07 GT/CS with the new 5.0 that was coming.

Then one day I get a text as I'm leaving work.... "Don't call just come straight home." I feared the worst. I thought someone was in the house and she was hiding.... I'm telling ya, that mustang had never been driven that fast. As I pulled in the drive she was standing in the door... I jumped out and the look on her face was indescribable, a cross between panic and extreme happiness.

I said "What's up? You scared the hell out of me." She said "I'm pregnant." I stopped instantly. My mind froze but a smile came across my face. I said "Let's not get our hopes up until we see a dr. Have you called your dr.?" She said yes but he can't see me for 6 weeks." I told her to call a friend we'd met through running, her husband was a fertility dr. She called and an hour later she was letting us in the back door of her husband's clinic. A few minutes later it was confirmed, my life would forever be altered.

8 months later she had our son, he has been a blessing every day since.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks everybody! God blessed me with an awesome family, and sent us on a path I never thought possible. We paid off 64k in debt using Dave Ramsey so the wife could stay home. We packed up and moved to the great white north to a slower pace of life and to people that really want to be around us. I sold the 07 mustang against my wife's wishes and she sold her Harley against mine. We couldn't ask for a better life.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Great story, and it's great to hear your happy with you new life.

Both of my parents were on their 3rd marriage by the time I was 20. I was convinced that marriage and kids wasn't for me. I never wanted to put any kid through what I went through. But it turns out we are never in control, we just like to think we are. I met the woman of my dreams and we're going to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary this November. My oldest daughter just turned 15 and my youngest will turn 10 in two weeks. Out of all of life's experiences, all 3 of them have been the best.

·
Registered
288 Posts
This is the text I sent to my daughter this morning on the way to the gym.....

"Good morning daughter. Thanks for being such a good swimmer. Glad you made it! Pick you up at 1015 for lunch" She responded..."eww, lol. R U bringing the mach or the 66?" Cool daughter with a great sense of humor.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Being a dad is a great life. Can't imagine not having kids. Then come grandkids...love 'em.

My wife and our kids, hubby's, girl friend and grandkids came over Saturday and/or Sunday.

It was a super weekend. To clarify my wife is here, the kids and grand kids came over.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
This is the text I sent to my daughter this morning on the way to the gym.....

"Good morning daughter. Thanks for being such a good swimmer. Glad you made it! Pick you up at 1015 for lunch" She responded..."eww, lol. R U bringing the mach or the 66?" Cool daughter with a great sense of humor.
I talked to my Grandpa last night, and at the end I thanked him for making my dad. He said "No problem, I had a lot of fun doing it." :grin2:

3 generations of twisted humor, love my family.

Great story. I felt the same way for a long time, but finally coming around to the idea. I'm the oldest of 7 and the oldest of something like 30 grandkids on my dads' side. I think I was "babied out" by the time I was 20. There was literally one or two new ones in my family every year for like 20 years.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Blessed with 2 lovable sarcastic teenage daughters and love it! They've just started into the boys stage- I made sure my permit to carry was up to date!

They gave me a picture of themselves with my wife and my 2 labs yesterday- in a chrome Mustang picture frame! It'll be proudly displayed on my desk for all to see.

My theory after these 2 girls- I wouldn't take a million dollars for either one of 'em..... and wouldn't give a nickel for another! LOL

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Blessed with 2 lovable sarcastic teenage daughters and love it! They've just started into the boys stage- I made sure my permit to carry was up to date!

They gave me a picture of themselves with my wife and my 2 labs yesterday- in a chrome Mustang picture frame! It'll be proudly displayed on my desk for all to see.

My theory after these 2 girls- I wouldn't take a million dollars for either one of 'em..... and wouldn't give a nickel for another! LOL
Before we found out the sex of our son my wife kept saying "I hope it's a girl and she dates someone just like you." My response was always.... "I'll kill him." Lol

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Before we found out the sex of our son my wife kept saying "I hope it's a girl and she dates someone just like you." My response was always.... "I'll kill him." Lol

At least you only have to worry about 1 wiener- I have to worry about ALL of 'em!! :surprise:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
My wife and I have two grown sons now, and they've been the joys of our lives. Anyone who knows me knows I am not given to overt sentimentality, but I am going to share the following for you and everyone here with young kids. I have never read anything more true in my entire life. Enjoy:

From the moment you hold your baby in your arms you will never be the same

You might long for the person you were before
When you had freedom and time
And nothing in particular to worry about

You will know tiredness like you never knew it before
Days will run into days that are exactly the same
Full of feedings and burping
Nappy changes and crying
Whining and fighting
Naps or a lack of naps
It might seem like a never-ending cycle

But don’t forget…

There is a last time for everything
There will come a time when you will feed your baby for the very last time
They will fall asleep on you after a long day
And it will be the last time you ever hold your sleeping child

One day you will carry them on your hip then set them down
And never pick them up that way again
You will scrub their hair in the bath for one last time
And from that day on they will want to bathe alone

They will hold your hand to cross the road
Then will never reach for it again
They will creep into your room at midnight for cuddles
And it will be the last night you ever wake to this

One afternoon you will sing “the wheels on the bus” and do all the actions
Then never sing them that song again

They will kiss you goodbye at the school gate
The next day they will ask to walk to the gate alone

You will read a final bedtime story and wipe your last dirty face
They will run to you with arms raised for the very last time.

The thing is, you won’t even know it’s the last time
Until there are no more times. And even then, it will take you a while to realise.

So while you are living in these times, remember there are only so many of them and when they are gone, you will yearn for just one more day of them.

For one last time.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Now you will wonder how you ever lived your life without your son in it. My wife and daughter are the greatest gifts I could ever have, even over my own life I cherish theirs more. Congrats on your son. It is truly a blessing to have children.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
We have two grown sons and grown daughter. Old pop song says it too well..."Cat's in the Cradle".
Now we cherish each time we see any of them.

Yes God blessed us.

·
6,968 Posts
Being a Dad is the best.

My future wife and I had decided on "2 or 3" kids before we ever got married.

After having 2 boys, I was kind of "well that's probably enough". 4 years had passed and I figured we were done, but the wife was insistent on having another...so "happy wife, happy life", Right? We had the third.

The older 2 are off at college now and we don't get to see them a lot. The third starts his Sophomore year of high school TODAY. Man, he's a great kid and I love him to death. I guess SWMBO was right....but don't tell her I said that.

Phil

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Having kids is hereditary.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts