Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
John_Del,

Thanks for sharing. Was good to read again. Like you said it is really the truth.
My mom sent that to me soon after we had our first daughter about 2 years ago.
I know it's hard but I've really been trying to slow down and enjoy the special moments with my girls.
I usually rock in the chair with my oldest before putting her in bed. About 2 weeks ago she asked me to
single a "Daddy song" and I said I didn't know that one, would she like me to make one!? So now every night she asks for
the "daddy song, special song!" Really hard to put any value on something like that! She even sings along now!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
My wife and I married young and always assumed we'd have kids. After ten years of trying to conceive, fertility docs & treatments, etc., we gave up. We looked at adoption, nearly went through with it but decided at the last minute that it would be selfish to put the little guy through it (he'd been placed since infancy with a foster family who wanted to adopt him, long story). That was almost too heartbreaking to repeat.

Five years later my wife was shocked when, seemingly out of the blue, her Dr. told her she was pregnant. By then she'd developed some health issues, so this was no slam dunk. The baby came eight weeks early via emergency C-section, I was pretty certain I was going to lose both my wife and child. I'll never forget the look on the Dr.'s face as we was doing his best to prepare me. My wife pulled through, and after a very scary first few hours, my daughter did too.

Despite her rough start, by the time she was two she was a head taller than most kids her age and never even caught a cold. While we were skeptical, our elementary school principal next door neighbor convinced us to enroll her in school a year early, and she was still the tallest kid in the class. She starts her senior year of high school this fall, straight-A student, multi-TAG, frighteningly bright- she has enough credits to graduate after the first semester, but filled up the last semester with AP Physics, etc., just for fun. She's pretty much set on a degree in chemical engineering, and has been shopping colleges since middle school.

I could not possibly be prouder of her. As rotten a kid as I was, I was certain I had some serious karma coming my way, but it's been an absolute joy being her father.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Here's one from the "life happens while you are busy making other plans.."

I met my first wife at 25 and dated her till we got married when I was 31... We were both VERY career focused and too busy for anything but ourselves. In retrospect I should have recognized that she'd never be satisfied and always looking for something better. She 'left' when I was 35. It was a swift, fair divorce with no kids. I, however was devastated. I lost trust and had a very hard time and found myself waking up in the middle of the night wet with sweat...Lost weight and figured my window for a family has passed. I have a tendency to need to date a woman 3-4 years before I can commit or marry..so with that MO, I'd be 40 before I'd even feel comfortable getting remarried..and kids??? that's too old!!
Well fast forward 11 years since that divorce and now at 46, I have a nice lady and I have the cutest sweetest 4 and 1 1/2 year old daughters.
My career choice allows me to be at home and with them 24/7. I am much more patient with them than I would have been in my 20's and there's no "cat's in the cradle" for me.
And, to show God works in mysterious ways...turns out that ex wife from 11 years ago had remarried a younger guy quickly after we divorced...could NOT have kids, adopted a son and now that husband wasn't good enough and divorced HIM with all of the ugliness that ensues....Now I am glad I DODGED that bullet.
"thank GOD for unanswered prayers.."...

·
Super Moderator
9,576 Posts
God is good.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well being a dad is great, but it does have its downsides. I have a Jack Russell Terrior that's about 12 years old and up until the first of the year was in great health. I noticed he started getting barrel chested and had a cough that would come and go. I took him into the vet and yep congestive heart failure. Doc put him on stattons and said hope for the best prepare for the worst. Well he has steadily gotten worse and worse. It's getting down to crunch time and old dad gets to make the call. I tried to sit down with my 5yo on and explain that Skip ain't gonna be with us much longer. He said he understood and seemed ok with it. Well the wife was laying in bed with him tonight and brought it up again. This was the text I got from her. Bare in mind the dog with chf is named "skippy" but our son has called him "brother" since he could talk. "Chap" is our 10 month old springer. "Ruger" is my son's best friends dog that died last year.

"Curled up with dayton tonight in bed and started talking to him about how brother is getting old, and he's been very sick lately with his cough. Told dayton that brother would probably be going to puppy heaven soon, but will be able to play with Ruger and wouldn't be sick anymore. He said "so that means he will be dead"? I said yes but that we would always have brother in our hearts so that means he will always be alive there.
He rolled over away from me and said "I don't want to talk about this anymore" and burst into tears.
Chap crawled right up next to him and rested his head on dayton and started to give him kisses. I told him that chap loves him very much and knows he's sad. He hugged chap and started talking to him telling him "it's ok chap, I feel better now" and telling me that chap loves him.
Chap is snuggled right up to dayton and they are both sleeping now.

This is going to be one of the toughest things....."

My god that woman's tough.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Some nice stories! I always wanted kids, for various reasons it never happened.

My stepdaughter was just out of high school college bound, and planning to get married, when the news came...her small, form fitting wedding gown wasn't going to fit. My wife was devastated, all the plans for her daughter out the door, they were kids too young, not prepared, not making enough money for kids of their own....etc etc.

Months later the tears of sadness turned to tears of joy and I had a grandson who would be a grandson and son I never had all rolled into one. Three months old, 20 degrees outside and he is bundled up in front of me on my ATV as we roar through the woods. Five years old he is in the stand beside me jumping up and down for joy after watching me make a 130 yard shot through heavy woods on a doe. Eight years old I am beside him when he pulls the trigger dropping a 7pt buck. Now almost 12, he is VERY good shot with pistol rifle and bow, and is hoping to drive my Mustang to his senior prom six years from now (AIN'T gonna happen! ha ha, I'll help him build his own)
He was followed up by a little sister who seems to have inherited her grandmothers knack for batting her eyes and getting what she wants from her Papa.

Wouldn't change a thing.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well a little something happened that made me think of this thread, so I thought I'd share again.

My son turned 9 on March 24. I asked him what he wanted and his reply was "A real remote control car." So we went to the local hobby shop and found him one, I had to get one as well. We love them. Its the one thing he loves more than fortnight.

One night we rented some rock crawler rc's and had a blast. My son and I knew we had to have one. So I promised him we'd get a pair if he did well with the new "distance learning."

Well, with our move to Florida being moved to asap i didn't want to spend the cash on two rock crawlers. On one of our walks i brought it up that while I was still gonna get one for him, mine would have to wait. His reply brought me up short. "Dad, then ill wait to get mine until we can both get one. It's so much fun when we both do it." It was one of those moments that reassure me that I must be doing something right. I don't know how I got so fortunate.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I had a foster teen who was really into RC. For his birthday, I took him to my friend's RC hobby store, and my friend took him around and showed him all the different makes and models and gave the ins and outs of them. He decided on a truck he liked, we got it as well as a fancy battery charger and some extra batteries. He built an entire crawler obstacle course in the basement which was pretty impressive.

Unfortunately the motor burned out after 5 days so we took it back and traded it for two drones. He has a lot of experience flying drones, and these ones were buy one get one free. So we both had a drone. Had a lot of fun flying them together, he taught me how to do it. After that I decided to get an RC plane and on my third time out, he watched me fly the plane off into the horizon, never to be seen again.

So then we got into airsoft.

I become a biological dad in September, there will be a new Mustang princess.

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
I only joined in 2019 so these old threads are the greatest.
I have two sons that I'm struggling to raise right in spite of the world.
Yesterday was fishing and shooting. Today was a small Mustang project and cutting grass until dark, then homework.
Tomorrow is a surprise road trip to see their grandparents for the 1st time in months, in a pair of 54-year-old Mustangs.
I can scroll through my phone alone and cry like a baby.
20171224_181011.jpg

Take LOTS of pictures, guys. It all goes by way too fast.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was like Major Payne - I felt if the Army wanted me to have a wife, they'd have issued me one. But that changed when I met the future Mrs. I always say now that if it wasn't for her I'd be sleeping in a cardboard box. We had 1 son, 7 1/2 weeks preemie, weighed 4 pounds, and you'd never know it now. He's a strong, decent, responsible 40 year old with a great Federal job and we have 2 beautiful grandkids. The BW is my mechanic helper with Diane - she can turn a wrench with the best of them. After nearly 44 years of marriage with all the twists and turns, I wouldn't change a minute. 20190813_183350.jpg 20190106_100726.jpg 20190419_105741.png

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
My 1st son was born in April during a heavy wet snow storm 1987, no power for 3 days. But with a wood stove, we got thru it. It makes for great memories and proves how tough you need to be.
All is well with both boys, worth it all.
Good luck

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
My 1st son was born in April during a heavy wet snow storm 1987, no power for 3 days. But with a wood stove, we got thru it. It makes for great memories and proves how tough you need to be.
All is well with both boys, worth it all.
Good luck
My coworker, who is the most quiet and meek young lady you can imagine, went into labor and her baby came very fast. Her husband was on the phone with the nurse in the living room and baby decided it was time to come out! She was in the bathroom and delivered it right there by herself while standing up in the bathtub. LOL. Her husband tells the nurse, 'she's having the baby....oh. She said she just had the baby."

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
My coworker, who is the most quiet and meek young lady you can imagine, went into labor and her baby came very fast. Her husband was on the phone with the nurse in the living room and baby decided it was time to come out! She was in the bathroom and delivered it right there by herself while standing up in the bathtub. LOL. Her husband tells the nurse, 'she's having the baby....oh. She said she just had the baby."
Had a cousin that had a kid in her car on her way home from the hospital after they said it was braxton hicks contractions.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts