Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I truly envy you guys. My ex and I never had kids (a blessing), and my wife now had a couple girls, tubes tied and no desire for any more kids. So unless some youngster that I know nothing about , contacts me out of the blue, I have none. Oldest stepdaughter, who passed on a few years ago, moved out before my wife and I tied the knot and we just were never super close.
The younger one had been poisoned by her Daddy "Your not my Dad!". My wife tried to tell her if she played her cards right, she would have me wrapped around her finger...ha ha. We get along great now, but so much special time was missed out on.
So now my grandkids are it. My grandson is my son and grandson rolled into one. Even my stepdaughter sees it and when he needed stitches when he was 3, she called me before calling her Dad, or even her Mom to meet her at the hospital. I was the one who held him down while they stitched up his leg, we both had tears in our eyes.
Now he is 14 and video games make up his world. I don't have the influence on him that I used to, his Daddy is the man figure in his life, as nature intended, but it still hurts. Then my wife had to go and undermine me! She got him in the Slingshot and snuck off to the school parking lot to introduce him to a clutch. She is not a very good teacher though so I will have to grab the keys and go out there and show him how to really drive one. HA!

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
Road tripping and making memories with my boys to see my out-laws ( I mean the grandparents, haha!) , and trying to lift their spirits with a surprise visit-at-distance during isolation.
We made it about 100 miles before somebody had to stop to pee...
20200507_132418.jpg

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
The other day, I checked the ball joints on my daughter's (formerly my mother's) Dodge Dakota, and had my daughter help me. Then we checked them on the Mustang, and I found the tire a little loose from a wheel bearing. For a learning lesson, I handed my daughter the lug wrench and told her to take the wheel off. My direction to her was "You're driving down the road, you get a flat tire, it's night time, and you dropped and broke your cellphone getting out. What do you do?" She did it with a bit of coaching from me, but she got all five lug nuts off without me helping. She got stuck on the last two, and I told her, "You can also use your feet and your body weight." After the job was done, she told me that she was glad I let her do it. That same night we sat at the dinner table and we talked about possible songs I will dance with her at her wedding.

·
Registered
870 Posts
My Dad passed away two months ago.
He was a computer programmer. Started with punch cards.

He taught me stuff about cars.
He taught me stuff about electronics and radios.
He taught me stuff about computers and networking.

I never aspired to be like my dad.

Through my career I've been:
A mechanic
A radio/satellite communications operator/maintainer
A information systems and network administrator

My daughter is much more artsy than I ever was. But at least we have the same taste in music.

We've done some small electronics projects but she kinda lost interest.
I've tried to teach her stuff about computers but she just wants to play games.
I've tried to teach her car stuff but she doesn't seem to like crawling under cars..
I'm pretty sure I was the same way when I was 13 years old.

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
We made it about 100 miles before somebody had to stop and pee...
20200507_132418.jpg

We visited with the grandparents for a few hours and I could just cry not being able to hug them, but they're especially vulnerable right now and even though we have had no issues, we won't take chances with them.

The older boy drove his car all the way with Mom riding shotgun, and he did very well.

Long trip, and my Navigator's battery ran down!!
20200507_193921.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
I wish I could slump over in the seat of my car like that and fall asleep. My daughter can do it, but I'm too tall and not very flexible anymore.
Same here. I'm just 6'2 and still get around great but sleep is something I haven't done well in a long time. He's 5'6 and 150 and just turned 12.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
As I look at this picture of the sleeping child and picture my own car, there's something missing - I'm not quite sure what it is but its really bugging me!!!

FLOWMASTERS< that's what's missing...

Its funny, my interior is the exact same color including the ribbed seat centers that are not quite dark enough. I figured they were redone later. My back seat seat-centers is quite a bit darker than the fronts, but I usually drive with the back seat hidden (fastback). I figured someone put new covers on the seats somewhere along the way before I got mine. Are your seats original? Perhaps they just faded in the sun. I know the rest of my interior is bone stock.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
The other day, I checked the ball joints on my daughter's (formerly my mother's) Dodge Dakota, and had my daughter help me. Then we checked them on the Mustang, and I found the tire a little loose from a wheel bearing. For a learning lesson, I handed my daughter the lug wrench and told her to take the wheel off. My direction to her was "You're driving down the road, you get a flat tire, it's night time, and you dropped and broke your cellphone getting out. What do you do?" She did it with a bit of coaching from me, but she got all five lug nuts off without me helping. She got stuck on the last two, and I told her, "You can also use your feet and your body weight." After the job was done, she told me that she was glad I let her do it. That same night we sat at the dinner table and we talked about possible songs I will dance with her at her wedding.
My daughter is a freshman in college and despite being a mechanical engineering major it can be tough to get her to wrench. I have taught her a few things along the way.

I got her to cry when I suggested this song for her wedding dance. (If she chooses it we will both be blubbering idiots on the dance floor)

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Crazy- almost 4 years have passed since I first responded to this post. I still have the picture of my 2 girls in the mustang frame albeit on my dresser instead now. One in college, 1 a senior this coming year. Both sarcastic as can be. Both LOVE taking 'our' 'vert Mustang out for drives or cruising... sometimes without me. At times I feel like I may drop my million $ price, but positive I still won't give a nickel for another.... lol! What scares me most is the thought of grandkids nearing!

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
As I look at this picture of the sleeping child...
FLOWMASTERS...
Its funny, my interior is the exact same color...
Well, my car actually does still have a pair of Flowmasters on it, an H-pipe, mandrel-bent tubing and turn-downs at the rear valance. I have had them since before my kids were born and the exhaust noise wirh turn downs under the car used to knock them out in their infant/toddler seats when they were younger and smaller.
My Aqua/Turquoise interior is restored to stock and my inserts are noticeably darker, about the same color as the dash pad and door panels.. I guess the evening light just kind of hides that.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Both sarcastic as can be.
My youngest is very sarcastic and witty. Wouldn't have her any other way. I feel sorry for anyone who dates her and thinks they're going to get over on her. I have no idea where she got these traits from.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
My youngest is very sarcastic and witty. Wouldn't have her any other way. I feel sorry for anyone who dates her and thinks they're going to get over on her. I have no idea where she got these traits from.

I see what you did there. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
If any of you have a daughter and would like her to "not date" a Mustang-crazy 16-year-old with an incredibly sarcastic and funny sense of humor, my son would certainly fit the bill...little twerp...hafta remind him daily that his old man can still make and take 'em and I've probably heard his before !

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been reflecting on being a dad since I got some awesome great gifts from my wife and 5 year old son this morning (not to mention a new tv since the storm knocked out the main board on ours over the weekend). I never wanted to be a dad, family life wasn't for me. I divorced twice because both thought I'd change my mind. I was a selfish * and I wore it like a badge of honor. I justified it by telling myself so long as I didn't have kids I could be selfish.

I met my current wife and when she said she couldn't have kids I considered it a match made in heaven. She had spent thousands of dollars trying to get pregnant with her ex husband. So i figured i was safe.

We both worked a LOT, 12 hour days and 7 days a week was pretty normal for us. We decided to quit smoking and start running. We felt great, was keeping considerable more cash in our pockets and life was great. We started looking for the wife a sporty two seat convertable, we'd already bought her a sportster and I was going to replace my 07 GT/CS with the new 5.0 that was coming.

Then one day I get a text as I'm leaving work.... "Don't call just come straight home." I feared the worst. I thought someone was in the house and she was hiding.... I'm telling ya, that mustang had never been driven that fast. As I pulled in the drive she was standing in the door... I jumped out and the look on her face was indescribable, a cross between panic and extreme happiness.

I said "What's up? You scared the hell out of me." She said "I'm pregnant." I stopped instantly. My mind froze but a smile came across my face. I said "Let's not get our hopes up until we see a dr. Have you called your dr.?" She said yes but he can't see me for 6 weeks." I told her to call a friend we'd met through running, her husband was a fertility dr. She called and an hour later she was letting us in the back door of her husband's clinic. A few minutes later it was confirmed, my life would forever be altered.

8 months later she had our son, he has been a blessing every day since.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Enjoy life with your son& wife as he will be grown before you know it.Take it from a dad to 3 -48,44& 29 seems like only yesterday they were babies I guess it's TRUE time flys when your having fun

·
Registered
66 Posts
One of the best perks with kids is one day you have some grandchildren . My 2 youngest stayed with us yesterday so my daughter could have some time without them. The girl is 4 the boy is 2 they wore the grandmother & paw paw out swinging them ,picking in the garden & having a good time being kids .Missed a lot of this with my 2 oldest kids as work kept getting in the way . I think a lot of people today with kids don't reliaze the stuff you buy& give your kids dose'nt mean nearly as much later in life as the time& love invested when they are kids.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts