Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Rereading the original post from 2016 made me reflect a bit.

The wife and I have been together 17 years this fall. We hadn't seriously considered kids until 5/6 years ago. I'm the oldest of 7 and grew up kinda poor (never knew it at the time, family was awesome - both my parents went back to college during my early teens and are doing very well now and all of my younger siblings are rocking at life now too) so I was in no hurry. I had a lot to see and do and just absolutely selfishly buy crap I never had and go to places I'd never been (which was like, everywhere...)

After a couple years, something just wasn't right. My poor wife has lady issues that make having a baby not impossible, but extremely difficult. Even had a surgery to try and fix it for the better. Went to one of those baby making places, started off with the cheap stuff, then the slightly more $ stuff, then after a year or more realized IVF was going to be the only way to go. Egg harvesting went well. 17 total, decent number, but when they went to make the embryos, there was only 4 that "took". We decided to pay for Genetic Testing and after that we were left with one. The other 3 all has some serious issues and would have never implanted. $25K dollars and one shot. It's amazing how many people spend that much and have no chances. We decided to wait until after Christmas and take a couple months off, because if this didn't work, we were done, including the surgeries and other "cheaper" IVF options we'd spend close to 50K cash over the past couple years.

It actually worked! I think this week was 27 weeks along and our little guy is due late September on our Anniversary.

It's a real eye opener. The next time you haggle someone, or hear a relative bothering a couple about "when you gonna have some kids", maybe they're trying and it's not happening. Give them a break :)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
65 Pony - Congrats on the baby!

This is an awesome thread, someone will have to revive it again in another 4-5 years.

My daughters are now 19 and 14. One is going to be in her 2nd year at Virginia Tech in Biology and the other will be a Freshman in High School. They are completely different but have become very close friends over the past year, which is something really special for me and my wife to sit back and watch. I know this whole COVID-19 thing is supposed to be bad, but it's really nice to have both of them at the house all the time now. So, I'm enjoying being stuck at the house with them while I still can.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Congratulations!
The first thing that comes to my mind about having kids is that each one remolded me into a slightly different person. A better person. If I would have waited until I was ready, I never would have done it. It makes a life worth living.

·
Registered
639 Posts
@65 Pony - congrats! My wife and I just had our first 6 months ago after various fertility treatments, and our son is happy and healthy (and a handful). We also have friends that did IVF twice before it took, so I know how stressful it is. Enjoy the ride!!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
@65 Pony - congrats! My wife and I just had our first 6 months ago after various fertility treatments, and our son is happy and healthy (and a handful). We also have friends that did IVF twice before it took, so I know how stressful it is. Enjoy the ride!!
It was definitely stressful, we only had one embryo to work with. With my wife's endometriosis, a second round of harvesting had a small chance of being successful, so this was "it" for us. Little guy will be here in 3 months.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It was definitely stressful, we only had one embryo to work with. With my wife's endometriosis, a second round of harvesting had a small chance of being successful, so this was "it" for us. Little guy will be here in 3 months.
They were in a very similar situation - only got one egg, so when it took they didn’t even bother with the genetic testing and just took the gamble. They were also blessed with a healthy boy.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts