Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a noise on my Mustang that is killing me!
I need professionell help here!
First I thought it is the distributer - changed it - no help!
Then I thought it is the lifter(s) - changed it - no help!
When I took my iphone to record it, it seems pretty obvious, it comes somewhere from the bellhousing area.
Here is a link to that video:

The thing is - no change if I put a gear in nor if I push the clutch-pedal.
Car runs great and everything is working properly by the way.

I don`t remember when it started . In summer with windows open - the exhaust is covering this noise.
But with windows closed it is driving me crazy.....

Any ideas....?????

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
It almost sounds like a lower end rod knock. Did you pull the inspection cover off the bellhousing and look inside? Make sure your exhaust pipes aren't touching the bellhousing too. The fact that it doesn't change while in gear or neutral somewhat rules out contact with the body, crossmember, etc. Good luck- it's definitely odd....

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
This is easy. Take a 12mm wood dowel about 30cm long and poke it around until you zero in on where it is coming from. (Hold the opposite end up to your ear with your fist wrapped around it). Use a longer stick for harder to reach places. This works excellent and you will zero in on exactly where it is coming from. Let us know!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Loose flywheel to crankshaft bolt? Loose clutch cover to flywheel bolt? I'm just tossing out ideas. The noise does seem to be coming from the bellhousing. Does the noise change with engine speed? Dave R.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks for your thoughts guys.
Yes the sound changes with engine speed.
Next week I will try to find a garage where I can lift my car on a hydraulic ramp and see what I can find out.
I`ll let you know.

Lars

1 - 9 of 9 Posts