Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night on a whim I decided to bolt a bellhousing to the ole' 289 sitting in the corner. Several years back in a misguided attempt to prove to my wife that I could offset some costs of the new build by selling old items I sold the 4 speed. Not really thinking about it I let the bellhousing go with it, forgetting that the starter has to bolt to it. Anyhow, I found a 6 bolt SBF bellhousing at a great price and bought it.
Got the idea I might try kicking over the old engine sitting on the stand and bolted it up, it bolted right up just like it was made for it. Then I got ready bolt the starter on and things took a turn. The mounting holes for the starter are offset from the holes in the dust shield. I thought the SBF came in two varieties: 5 bolt and 6 bolt. This is 67 289 block. Holes for the other bolts line up with dust shield and block. Dust shield never removed from engine. Did I buy an oddball?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Last night on a whim I decided to bolt a bellhousing to the ole' 289 sitting in the corner. Several years back in a misguided attempt to prove to my wife that I could offset some costs of the new build by selling old items I sold the 4 speed. Not really thinking about it I let the bellhousing go with it, forgetting that the starter has to bolt to it. Anyhow, I found a 6 bolt SBF bellhousing at a great price and bought it.
Got the idea I might try kicking over the old engine sitting on the stand and bolted it up, it bolted right up just like it was made for it. Then I got ready bolt the starter on and things took a turn. The mounting holes for the starter are offset from the holes in the dust shield. I thought the SBF came in two varieties: 5 bolt and 6 bolt. This is 67 289 block. Holes for the other bolts line up with dust shield and block. Dust shield never removed from engine. Did I buy an oddball?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,369 Posts
Did he quote and forgot to add HIS part of the post?

Anyway, I'd say you had a "small" bellhousing for a 157 tooth flywheel and bought a "large" (like for a truck) 164 tooth flywheel bellhousing. If you have casting numbers on it some of us can tell for sure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There are 2 different size bellhousings available. There is a 157 tooth flywheel which a little bit smaller than the 164 tooth flywheel they both will bolt up but the starter bolt holes are different. These are both 6 bolt bellhousings

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, that sounds like the issue. Thanks for the help, Guess I need to look at getting another.
OR..... is it feasible to drill and tap new holes to install the starter just to be able to crank the motor? Picked this bellhousing up dirt cheap so I am more concerned about making it usable for this task than using it in a build. Bellhousing.jpg

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I'm assuming you have the larger bellhousing (164 tooth). Is it aluminum? I have one on my 289 and passed up on the chance to get one for $75 a couple of years ago. If you want to get rid of it before drilling holes.... :)

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm assuming you have the larger bellhousing (164 tooth). Is it aluminum? I have one on my 289 and passed up on the chance to get one for $75 a couple of years ago. If you want to get rid of it before drilling holes.... :)
I will try to verify the part number is for the 164 tooth version, might be a couple days. It is aluminum. Drilling it out wouldn't be too big a job but, yep, I would consider getting rid of it before drilling holes in it just to do good for fellow Mustanger.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
Your pic shows a 164th bell with a 157th block plate.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
just to confuse you some more, The original tooth count was 160 not 157 not to be confused with the totally different 164

·
Just some guy
21,369 Posts
.. is it feasible to drill and tap new holes to install the starter just to be able to crank the motor?
No. Not unless you use the proper separator plate (or just leave that one off) AND find and use a 164 tooth flywheel.

The reason some people like the bigger bellhousing and flywheel combo is that it allows you to run an 11 inch clutch versus a 10 inch or 10.5 inch one on the the 157 tooth version.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My old McCleoud scatter shield is made for the larger 164 flywheel and I run the larger clutch. Just an FYI to anyone contemplating running the larger one it does make header and clutch linkage fitment more challenging and I had to clearance it with a grinder for my clutch linkage. As noted it would probably be easier to sell it and find another one.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No. Not unless you use the proper separator plate (or just leave that one off) AND find and use a 164 tooth flywheel.

The reason some people like the bigger bellhousing and flywheel combo is that it allows you to run an 11 inch clutch versus a 10 inch or 10.5 inch one on the the 157 tooth version.
I am thinking (yeah, I know its dangerous!) that the only reason to obtain a 164 tooth flywheel would be if I DIDN'T drill the holes. If I drilled the holes to match the 157 tooth spacer, it would place the starter back in the original position. Being the 157 tooth flywheel is smaller, clearance with bellhousing is no issue. Am I missing something?

·
Just some guy
21,369 Posts
You're in some unknown territory there but I'm thinking that the entire starter opening is relocated so even if you drilled holes the starter wouldn't engage the smaller flywheel. Or worse, engage just enough to knock the tips off some of the teeth.

Maybe put the bellhousing up in the "trade" section. Or just sell it. It's kind of desirable.
I know I have a couple of T5 bells, seems like I had an older 157 tooth one lurking around too, I'd have to look.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Well, my definition of it will bolt up means I can bolt a starter on it. I have encountered this with my Cleveland apparently too. My old 289 bell housing is the smaller one and the back plate for the Cleveland doesn't line up on the bottom where the starter bolt holes are. There are racing bells that are double drilled for both bolt patterns and they are not cheap.

Here is the double drilled backplate. Obviously, Summit racing is kind of proud of this piece of metal, LOL. Part of that black mark appears to indicate that you have to oval out the starter hole.

Reactions: rpm and Huntingky

·
Registered
867 Posts
You really need to snag a bigger plate and flywheel, or trade bells with someone. I wouldn't trust just the plate to give enough support to the starter that the correct bell would. and on that note yes, there are scattershields that are drilled for 2 starter locations, I have a lakewood and am using the big flywheel, and yes, a lot of massaging to the tris, mostly in the starter location. I still think the starter would not be supported as well using the inside holes and the smaller flywheel

·
Registered
867 Posts
Also looking at your pic, it appears if you drilled a hole in the bell using the old plate as a guide the hole you drill will be right on the edge of the inside lip of the bellhousing

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sent you a PM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts