Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a loss!! I have a '65 Mustang with a '72 302 stroked to a 347. The transmission is a C4 with a Converter designed on the 11.4 bolt pattern. This requires the 164 tooth (So I'm told) flex plate. I understand that the original flex plate was 157. When we were putting all this together, the bellhousing and the engine plate did not mate correctly in the starter location. I am trying to find out if the bellhousing was made slightly larger for the 164 tooth flexplate? If so, can someone tell me which model Mustang came standard with the 164 tooth flexplate? Once I know which car originally had this installed, I can then order a replacement engine plate. It seems no-one (not even FORD), can answer this question!!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
My buddies 80 Ford pickup has a 302 and 164 teeth flywheel. I would think anything with the 11" clutch, like
the trucks or vans. A junyard might be a good place to look.

Regards,
BillGear

1966 Mustang Coupe, 302 custom roller cam, holley 650dp,http://www.289mustang.com
http://www.289mustang.com/images/vmfcar.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
The motor plates are different. The 157 tooth plate places the starter about 1/2" closer to the crank than the 164 tooth plate.

The AOD's came with a 164 tooth flexplate as well. One of these may work on your application. You can check the ones from any late 5.0 or 3.8 liter engine; they are the same.

Jack Collins
1966 Mustang Coupe
250 Aussie Crossflow / T-5

Visit the Mustang Six Website!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Assuming that your bellhousing is the larger one made for the 164 tooth flex plate (flywheel), I believe that you need the engine (block) plate to match the bellhousing which moves the starter out further than the 157 tooth one. Any early 351W block plate would match your bellhousing as they came with the larger flywheels/flex plates. I also think that 69??? and up 302s came with the larger bellhousing/block plate.

66 Fastback
85 GT Hatchback
67 Coupe
82 GT Hatchback

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may get into problems too in that there are two versions of the early C4(that I know of off hand), there is the step case and flared case, the bellhousings do not interchange, which can creat a problem sometimes-bellhousing designed for early Mustang usage had a bolt circle aroung the front pump area inside bell that was solid,unlike the bell used in other cars, not sure if this affects interchange-ability.Does your dipstick tube enter the tranny pan itself, or the housing of the transmission?Many Torinos and Ford trucks of the 70's used the heavy duty style flared case C4, which utilized the 164 tooth flyweel.

1967 S code GT Deluxe Coupe 65B
1966 Convertible 76B 289 4 speed

Descendent of Francois Seguin dit Laderoute,
Soldier Regiment d' Carignan, New France 1665-1668

1 - 6 of 6 Posts