Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy at work is selling a wide ratio toploader 4spd, said it was behind a 351CJ, and is now ready for a foxbody setup with a toploader/tremmec bellhousing. I will need a new tranny for the Capri soon, but it currently has the RUG 4spd, and the cable clutch set up. Is there that big a difference that the tranny would not work behind the bellhousing I have now. I dont want to have to hunt for a different bell or clutch linkage to make it work. :p

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Youre saying the tranny for sale is a toploader, as is whats currently in the car with working clutch linkage?

Im no expert on the swap, but it sounds like it should work.......both input shafts should also be compatible.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
If the tranny is set up for a fox body then it must already have the cable set up in the bell.

Just measure the tranny to bell housing bolt pattern. That will tell you. It wouldn't hurt to double check the bell depth.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I seem to recall the 4 spds used in the Fox chassis V8's were not the same as the old 4spd top loaders. I seem to recall the input shaft on the Fox were longer (T-5 length).

As mentioned, measurements are in order.

Regards,

Dean T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts