Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on recovering Diane's seats this winter (front bench). I can't find a listing for the front seat foam anywhere. Does anyone know who carries it?

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
Check with NPD. The upper sections appear to be the same as buckets and the lower sections can probably be adapted easily by an experienced upholsterer, and likely re-use or replicate the center section much like what is in the rear bench.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I used green high density foam for back seats. It comes in different thicknesses. Got it locally at Joann fabric.works great. Should work fine for front bench. Cut it with the wife’s electric knife. I didn’t say that....

·
Registered
35,897 Posts
For really fine work on seat foam, a high speed grinder can smooth off the sharp corners, and even make a rounded foam bun out of flat material. I've done that for buns that were not available.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I used green high density foam for back seats. It comes in different thicknesses. Got it locally at Joann fabric.works great. Should work fine for front bench. Cut it with the wife’s electric knife. I didn’t say that....

I did the same for the rear seat but mine was white. I also used my electric carving knife:grin2:
Second the grinder for finer work.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I last had my foam replaced (rear since I have buckets) the auto trim place I went to made it by hand.

roog

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I'm waiting for a response from my upholstery guy about the Fastback rear foam. If he's good with it then I'll go that route. I have zero skills in that area so I don't want to try it myself.

·
Registered
298 Posts
For high density foam, I used 3" for my rear seat bottom and 2" on the back. I probably could have used 3" on the back as well and I may undo the hog rings and put in thicker foam if I run out of projects. I used a regular utility knife and scissors to cut it, which are not the right tools. The right tool is actually an electric carving knife. Even the foam place used one.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
It was some time ago, but I converted a bench to Pony Bench, and used the regular pony foam and just bridged the bottom with some scrim and foam.
+1 on the Pony foam. It'll give the bench seat a firmer feel but on a longer trip it'll be a much more comfortable ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts