Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I jumped in and bought a bench seat core. This should be a fun restoration. Its from a 66 but will putting it in to my 67 coupe.

Has anyone done this lately? Any tips on who to buy foam and a cover from?

What sould I do for the foam for the center of the bench and for the arm rest?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I think the base model seat foam could be worked in and maybe some additional foam from a local trim shop, then a Distinctive Industries or TMI upholstery set would do it. All of that is available from NPD or Virginia Classic Mustang with assurance they will be there long after the sale.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’m in the same situation with looking for foam for my 67 bench seat. Can you tell how the base model seat foam worked and how much extra you had to get for the center and arm rest?

·
Registered
378 Posts
PM sent to the OP asking for an update on his bench seat. I am about to undergo the same thing.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have just a regular bench seat but I used high density foam from a fabric/hobby store along with some burlap. Electric knife and grinder for shaping and they turned out pretty nice if I do say so myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Flip289 did you happen to photo the foam installation? Can you describe how you cut the foam? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clay i didn't take any photos. if you were sitting in drivers seat, the foam beside your right leg would be cut off where the seam is, then with the high density foam you shape the middle of seat. hope this helps.

·
Registered
300 Posts
PM sent to the OP asking for an update on his bench seat. I am about to undergo the same thing.
I’m in the same situation with looking for foam for my 67 bench seat. Can you tell how the base model seat foam worked and how much extra you had to get for the center and arm rest?
OK I've reviewed both your difficult situations, and determined one of you should scrap this project and sell me your bench!>:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
That said then I would cut the left side off the passenger side. What thickness foam did you start with in the center for shaping and is that the same thickness you used for the arm rest? Thanks, just trying to get everything together for my winter job of reupholstering. I'm sure I will have a ton of stupid questions about the back seat in my convertible but one set at a time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts