Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across an ad for a '66 Mustang for sale in a nearby town. In the ad the owner stated that the car had bench front seats "which are rare". Anyone have any information on '66 Mustangs ever being produced with factory bench seats?

The information in the ad was limited. It is apparently a 6 cylinder coupe with standard 3 speed transmission and the "rare" bench seat. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The only source I have is from a book which says "Although never really popular, the bench seat was an option on 65-68 mustangs". I don't believe the rarity is because of scarcity, but rather of preference. I do not believe that you could get deluxe (pony) interior in 65-66 with a bench seat.

Fastbacks were never produced with bench seats in 65-66, although mine has one that a PO put in. I really like it, with the armrest and all. Seat covers are more expensive, if it needs replacing, and since it is all-in-one, you cannot replace just the driver's side, like you can on buckets.

You either like them or you don't.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I read somewhere that only approx. 21,000 cars were made in 1966 with a bench seat. Said that the bucket seats were the rage at the time, so everybody ordered them with the buckets. My 66 has a bench seat and I like it. I am not sure if 21,000 would catagorize it as "rare" but more like the other posted said, there "scarce".

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've had two bench seat cars. Just drove one cross country and it is very comfortable. Wheather or not a car had bench seats would not affect my decision to buy a car. I don't think it matters that much. With a I6 and 3 speed, it doesn't sound like this is a "special" car that would be worth gobs of $$ when restored.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't think it's particularly "rare" unless it's a convertible. My gt vert has one, so I kind of keep an eye out for them. Either way, I don't think it impacts value too much. I like them because it is an original option that gives the car a bit of a different look.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
For 1966 models,
Hard top Bench seat produced were (21,397)
Convertible with Bench seat was (3,190)

I have a couple of bench seat mustangs. One hardtop, One convertible /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

They are rare to find, but not much sought after. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rare & hard to sell...... you said it! I've been trying to sell one for a '68 for 20 years!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts